Wednesday, April 29, 2009

SOME PAPER WORK PROGRESS

This isn't a food blog like Judy Alter's but this morning I had French toast made with Kathy's beer batter bread that she had left on the counter. It is real healthy full grain and soaked up the egg covering very well. I couldn't eat all of it so I now have fatter fox. I told Kathy that I am getting fat eating the leftovers in the fridge for lunch. I try to balance by cutting back at supper with a little wine, a little nuts, a couple of dark chocolate candies and an apple. I couldn't buy any seedless red grapes and am running out of last weeks.

I called the Teacher Retirement System April 10 to report Lou's death. They said that they would send me a packet of material. I called 10 days later and they said it took 3 weeks. I called on the 28 and they said it had been mailed on the 24. Today it finally came. I had spent $9900 on the funeral thinking the lump sum payment would be $10,000. It is BUT they take out 20% for taxes. Argh. But my children said that they would help during the stress time. It will all work out in a couple of months.

I guess you could say that it rained today. It drizzled enough to drip off the roof, but I haven't even looked at a guage because we didn't get enough to measure. There is still a remote chance a rain storm will come through tonight but the radar looks like it will be well north of here.

The birds like this weather. I had to make more hummingbird water this afternoon. The front feeder was empty.

I drove to town to get the TRS papers notarized and in the mail. I stopped to pay for the Thank You ad in the Review and Vanda said that she would pay for it because she hadn't done anything for Lou. She loved Lou because Lou encouraged her writing and complimented her on running the paper. I also again pitched the Library's suggestion that she celebrate the paper's 100th anniversary by running Robert E. Howard's cowboy stories. Both to emulate the serials that newspapers used to run and to educate CP on the cowboy story side of Howard. There is local antimosity against the Barbarian aspect of Howard which is seen as more on the witchcraft side. They don't know about his other work. I checked out a library book on the humorous cowboy stories and took it to her to look at.

I continue to get supporting cards and letters. Our former pastor, Hubert Austin, who started our endowment fund celebrated his 80th birthday and Lou's memory by mailing a check for the endowment fund.

Thanks to all of my family and all of our friends for your prayers and support.

2 Comments:

Blogger judyalter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:19 PM  
Blogger judyalter said...

Well, there was a bad typo in what I just posted so I'll try again. I'm glad you're still posting and want you to know you're still on my prayer list. Your dinner tonight sounds delightful--wine, nuts, chocolate, and what else? Should have been cheese. I'm on Weight Watchers (long overdue) but that dinner would make me hungry. I had sashimi tonight and loved it, and have enough points left to have a small bit of choclate with peanuts and jalopeno. Your French toast sounded good too--I'm glad you're such a cook. One of the things I find important about living alone is cooking really good meals for myself--no bowls of cereal for dinner.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home