Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ANOTHER BOOK FOR LOU

This is Molcie's literary corner so I have to report on another book for Lou that came in the mail. The book didn't come. I received a notice that Pat and Shay Bennett have given a book to the Abilene Public Library in Lou's memory. The book is First Settlers of the Republic of Texas, Volume 1 compiled by Carolyn R. Ericson adn Frances Ingmire. The book will be placed in the library's genealogy collection. I know that Lou is very pleased to have another book written by Texas women in her memory.

Today I got a history lesson on the history of Cross Plains at Kiwanis. Former Kiwanian Donnel Clark gave an excellent history of the town from its beginning to the advent of the railroad and where the terminal was located. It was dubbed the Peanut Express because it ran from DeLeon to CP and back every day. He told where the oil wells were located in town. There were 5 grocery stores and three pharmacies each with a doctor in residence. Dr. Howard, REH's father obtained all of his medical education by correspondence. Don told a lot of interesting facts about the town's history.

I left a little early to go to the courthouse to file the papers to have Lou's will probated using the muniment of probate papers. It cost me $257 to file with the clerk but Social Security said yesterday I would get a final payment of $250 from them. Not breakeven but close.

I started the Robert Conley book but it is what I would consider recreational reading. I haven't found time to read very far. I have too much stuff to read every day and spend way too much time on the computer. But people keep asking me to post to the blog so here it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home