Wednesday, June 10, 2009

WEDNESDAY WEATHER

We have had storms come through Abilene every night but it poops out before it gets here. Tonight there was a lot of rain in Abilene after a lot of wind damage last night. Last night I got not a drip of rain. Tonight I got a drip, about one tenth. and the sun is out at 7. I have to go to a church meeting at 7:30 so I will edit this post when I get back.

I got back early, wrote for 45 minutes and it didn't post. Completely lost. This blog is frustrating.

I will try to reconstruct it again. I walked to the mailbox yesterday and saw a huge white football in the field at the Halsell House. When I went over to check it out, it was the largest mushroom I have seen. We have a lot of softball size mushrooms when we have rain, but haven't seen them this year. Also when we get rain we see a lot of little mushrooms of all kinds scattered in the grass. I used to harvest morels in the backyard a few years ago but haven't seen any lately. It depends on the timing of the rain.

Tuesday I went to town to get a haircut. I followed Eddie Walt, former Dallas police Captain, who now raises a few cows near Pioneer. He was telling us that he just read that the EPA is going to charge him $85 per cow because of their methane production. When he saw the proposal several years ago, he laughed, but it looks like it may come true. He said that would put him out of the business. He is building new fences. I told him to make them goat proof because all cattle men made their money from goats. He said he didn't plan to go that route. Maybe he will find time to finish the book he started on the largest gunbattle in police history that occured when he was working in Dallas.

After I stopped to visit Carl Edington to talk oil business on my way to Kiwanis. Kiwanis had a great program by Dr. Susan Hunter who holds degrees in Geology from Michigan, Rice and Texas Tech and still is an adjunct prof at Tech. She just retired from NRCS, the old Soil Conservation Service, that my dad worked for. She worked on their soil survey program that used to be published in paper for each county but has gone online at WSS. She and her Shell Drilling supervisor husband are building a home at the Atwell community about three miles east of me. I gave her my card and invited her to see my fantastic geology site on Halsell Hill.

Hooray! It published this time. I will add some nature observations next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home