Friday, May 22, 2009

LOU MEMORIAL DAY

I did a little office and yard work this morning then showered and dressed up to go to Cross Plains. I stopped by the Review office to leave the next copy of the Howard cowboy story. I didn't receive my copy in the mail today so hadn't seen the first edition. It looked good. Vanda didn't use my intro but put a nice block headline. I told her about watching an old Andy Griffith show where a stranger came to town and knew the name of everyone and even stories about the rooms in the hotel when he checked in. It seems that he had been a buddy of a Mayberry soldier, had read the local newspaper for several years, decided he wanted to move there and had everyone buffaloed how he knew them. Vanda told me she had a call from a stranger who told her that he knew everyone in CP from reading the paper and was planning to buy a place near here. The power of small newspapers.

I then had lunch at the Staghorn with Judy Luter, president of the Library board, to discuss our presentations of the Lou Rodenberger writing awards at the school assembly this afternoon. I had the baked potato stuffed with grilled chicken. We then went to the school where we were first on the highschool program and forgotten on the junior high program until we reminded Dora that we were there. It was a pleasure to tell the students how much Lou enjoyed judging the contest for eight years and how she encouraged everyone to keep a journal and write. I told them that if they became famous someone would want their journals and that TWU has packed up 50 boxes of Lou's files to take to their archives.

We were joined by Jean McWilliams who gave the Terry Jane Wyatt scholarship in honor of her daughter. She also annouunced the Methodist scholarships, one for Terry Jane's son Joe Dalton who graduates this year. The W. G. McCoy scholarship given by the Texas Heritage Bank was presented by the current bank president, David Estes, to his son. They had an independent group select the winner. He was also the winner of the best Lou Rodenberger writing award.

Kathy and Keith are enjoying San Diego with Val. Mark and Mary Kathryn are coming tomorrow to go to Sweetwater to the WASP Homecoming 2009 with me. I am also hoping the predicted rain will fall here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home