Friday, June 12, 2009

FULL DAY THURSDAY

The alarm went off at 5:45 so that I could make it to the Methodist Men's meeting at 6:30. There I learned that the church we moved into just about one year ago had water dripping on the organ during choir practice. They saw it and covered the organ. Probably due to water being blown under the steeple.

I got some work done on the transcript and walked to get the mail. I called TWU Library and then hadn't gotten the contract I mailed last week. Some problem with their mail delivery system. Haven't had any mail for two days so we rescheduled the pickup of Lou's documants until the week of the 22nd when Kathy and I get back from Oklahoma City and the Western Writers of America annual meeting.

I have been experimenting with prepared food for my lunch. It is hard cooking for one as many of you know. I like the Healthy Choice Steamer dishes, but it bothers me that there is so much plastic waste with the bowl and strainer bowl. It does taste good and had a lot of broccoli in the chicken marinara that I ate yesterday. For my fruit because I hadn't eaten my banana at the men's breakfast, I had a banana split with fruit cocktail, two scoops of frozen yogurt and one of moo-illium Blue Bell ice cream. Probably too many calories. My weight wasn't down this morning.

I napped then left for Abilene at 3 with a large thunderstorm building south of me with thunder and the promise of rail. Some of the storms lately have been moving NE so I hoped I would get rain. In Abilene the sun was mostly out. I recycled and bought some pulleys at Walmart and made an impulse purchase of a remote rain guage that I may give to the Wilcoxs. I then had my car washed and was the only car in line. So I had time to run out to the Farm supply store and buy the $20 electric fence controller to try on my squirrels.

At 5 I went to the InventAbilene meeting held in the Texas Tech Engineering building in downtown Abilene. It was interesting because they had everyone tell what they are doing. They have some real inventors and some old-timers like me who work with inventions. The first fellow is working on developing computer solutions to the problem one large oil field service company has obtaining data from hundreds of field units scattered all over the world. I was next and told them my interest was attracting new companies to Cross Plains.

Another new company is developing algae that produces crude oil on its surface as opposed to the other oil producing algae that have to be killed to extract their oil. Their project is to strip the oil off and reuse the algae. They need bio waste, like dairy cow manure and CO2 to feed the algae. They are recyling the waste materials so it is carbon neutral.

A woman inventor said that she had built a metal building shop and was working on a number of inventions. After the meeting I visited her shop and she is a true inventor with ideas galore but wanting someone else to build and sell them. She had gone to Lubbock to visit their development staff but wasn't impressed with their help.

An opthomologist had a great invention. He had devloped sunglasses with only a strap to hold them on. He envisions various straps that make a fashion statement with a slider that can be a bolo (he commented on the one I was wearing) or a piece of jewelry when the glasses are stored behind the neck. He was enthusiastic and was obtaining assistance from a retired neurophycologist who has a shop where he is developing better instruments for a RV. He is using LEDs to make large displays that can be seen by the driver. He showed the invention at a RV show, got comments and is test driving to see what improvements are needed.

One Chinese woman who teaches chemisty at one of the universities is working on cancer treatments.

In the meantime I could see the large cumulus clouds SE of Abilene and hoped it was raining on Halsell Hill. Sue had called about 5 saying it was pouring in Cross Plains. As I drove home about 8:30 the road was dry but when I got to HH I saw evidence of rain. Had one inch in my guage and leaves everywhere indicating hail had fallen. But by the time I got home the road wasn't even muddy.

Today I have to go work at the Library for Robert E. Howard day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home