Friday, May 15, 2009

FRIDAY FRUSTRATION

My kingdom for a wrench. I wanted to take the left rear tire off of the riding lawn mower and I couldn't find my little wrench that removes retainer springs. I always kept it with the mower but it is gone and there is no way that I could get that thing off with a screwdriver. So I gave up, drove to town, and picked up the letter at the Funeral Home.

I found out that Mollie Mead now lives a short walk to the beach under Diamond Head in Honolulu. I found that out by putting her address in map.google but it didn't have the photos that we have come to expect here. Of course my house isn't in their data base either. She moved from Fort Worth in 1986. One of her sons is there and the other two in Las Vegas. Someone from FW had mailed the obituary from the Star-Telegram.

I need to correct an entry. I said Sally McGregor was Ila's daughter. Ila had no children and Sally was a niece that took care of her in her last years.

I started mailing a few pages at a time to Tim Dill in prison. One of the reasons I have moved to smaller type is to keep the printing of the blog to fewer pages. I bought a roll of 17 cent stamps. Melody, the postmistress, explained that the second ounce stamp hasn't gone up. The first ounce costs 44 cents now but the next ounce is only 17 more cents.

I walked to Higginbothams to buy that wrench. They said that they had them but we couldn't find one. Tom Stephenson managed Higgies about 20 years ago and was in the store. He walked across the street with me. He was taking Arlene's first check to the bank. I went to the Auto Parts store and had to pay $20 for a complicated wrench to replace the simple one that I lost.

This morning while I was fertilizing my tomatoes and roses Vanda the editor of the Cross Plains Review called to say that they would run the cowboy stories in serial form that Robert E. Howard wrote. So I went by to pick up the book that I had checked out of the Library for her. I offered to write the stories in a form that they could paste. They said noone had ever been able to do that. She said that the font was Times. So this afternoon I played with formatting and am close. I used 11 point font and adjusted the column width. I couldn't duplicate their line perfectly but it is close. So now I have to start typing from the book. Breckinridge Elkins will make a great hero for the readers to become familiar with.

When I got home I used the fancy smancy wrench after messing with it for a half hour to remove the retaining ring and put the wheel in the pickup to take in tomorrow when I go in to work on the church cleanup day. Kathy and Keith are coming in tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Papa Israel said...

Gone are the days of making repairs with the pliers, crescent and screwdriver, huh, Charles.

Regards,
Curtis

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home