Wednesday, May 06, 2009

WEDNESDAY FOR GARDENING

I bought a bunch of tomato plants yesterday and planted three so today I had to plant the rest. I put them in my old garden spot without my usual preparation of digging in compost. I just dug a hole planted them and watered them in. I did add a bunch of dry molasses to each plant because I have a big bag of it that needs using. Took me all morning. Still haven't done my ironing.

The mail brought another letter by an old friend of Lou who had just heard about her death. He was one of the old timers who attended Western Literature Association that Lou dropped out of when the environmental activists took over and western literature disappeared. She had a lot of friends in that society tho.

Tonight I changed my routine. I went back about 10 years when Lou and I would watch the 5 o'clock news and then eat our supper on the porch, either upstairs or downstairs. I opted for downstairs because Mark and Mary Kathryn had given Lou a steel wicker table and chairs. I sat in the metal rocker and used the table. Of course I had to spill a little wine on the porch but it doesn't look too bad. I watched the birds hoping to see some swallows, but none showed up. I was hoping that they were under the bridge on the highway if they weren't at the houses, but they seem to not have come back this year. I did watch the hummingbird do their dance in the air. I guess they are mating and may have a nest in the red oak tree where they were dancing. I have never found a hummingbird nest but they must have them around somewhere. The peewee came to rest on the little limb that is the highest one on the peach tree and looked around until a gust of wind bent it over and it moved to a more stable limb. I think the rat snake was trying to get into the peewee nest on the upper porch.

My guess on the rat snake was that he came up on the porch, the weather turned cold and he crawled up next to the door to get warm. When Mark picked him up on the hoe and dropped him to the ground he didn't move very fast. The temperature was about 50 degrees and he wanted it warmer.

With no rain to speak of, I spent the whole day letting the water run slowly on the crepe mrytle, roses and flower bed in front and watered in the tomato plants.

The other piece of mail was a letter from Jodie Glassford who sent me the paper that had a full page ad with Bill's photo saying that they would be closed in his memory. He had owned the paper for about 30 years, sold it about 10 years ago but continued to write a weekly column. There were several accolades by his friends and the current owners of the paper and a special letter from a woman now living in San Angelo who told of going to work for Bill just out of journalism school. He took her to an old Remington typewriter with no letters on the keys and gave her first assignment. When she took it to him, five minutes later she got it back with red comments and went back to her typewriter to do it again. She said she learned more from Bill in her two years that she ever learned in school. I knew he was a little older but was surprised that he was 87. He and Jodie were one of about six couples who got married from that one Methdist SS class in Levelland during a couple of years we were there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home