Sunday, October 04, 2009

BUSY WEEKEND

Friday I ate lunch at the Senior Citizens Center and talked computers to the elders at my table. One old timer said she was too old, another said she loved her computer and used it for her correspondence and banking. Fodder for my column in the Livestock Weekly.

Saturday morning I got up early because I needed to leave at 8:30. I wanted to print copies of the church newsletter for distribution Sunday so I turned on my computer and started printing while I ate breakfast. I was able the print 9 copies, 2 for me and 7 for the church and drop them off as I drove to Blanco for Dawn Cox's funeral. Drove thru a few rainshowers and got to Blanco on time. I ate at DQ and went to the Funeral home to visit with several other Texas Folklore members who knew Dawn. Her husband Sid Cox was an English prof and folklorist and we had known them and watched their kids grow up since the 1960s. The funeral service at the chapel had a folklore content with a guitarist leading the hymns from TFS meetings. Then the procession went way out in the country to the Cox ranch located on Cox road. Sid was buried on the ranch and Dawn was buried next to him. I have to apologize for leaving the graveside service early. We got there about 2:20 and my experience with graveside services is that they didn't last long. It began to rain and we all got under the tent. A number of family members and friends had comments. There were three guitarists, a woman neighbor who sang solos and other songs including a Beatle song "Let It Go". I needed to leave at 3 so another TFS member and I left because it looked like the folk celebration was not going to end soon.

I drove through rain showers, some heavy to Fair Oaks where I had an appointment with a new eHarmony match who agreed to meet me. It is amazing how many things we all have in common. Her name was Kathryn, like my mother, daughter and daughter-in-law, her husband was named Charles. She graduated from Alamo Heights and had an English degree from UT Austin. She has sons living in Fredricksburg and I asked her if she knew about Shearer books and she had been there with a friend who picked up book to sell. She also knew the owners of Clark Printing company. We had a good visit until her son picked her up for another family meeting.

I drove into San Antonio. Valerie meets with three girl friends every Saturday and she invited me to their party. I had to drive in the rain all the way across SA trying to read street signs to turn left and right. I got there but it wasn't easy. They fed me pizza, beer and brownies. I was amused. Val and a third grade teacher were both grading papers. The home belonged to a new Pediatrician who said her favorite thing to do was removing pus. Doctor humor.

Kathy and Keith had gone to a wedding of Mandi's brother where Brent was the ring bearer and did a good job. They came by after and Kathy drove me back to their house. Remind me not to eat pizza and beer for supper. Even after two Tums I had a hard time getting to sleep until I got up and took three more. Then I got a good night's sleep and even slept late.

This morning Jim, Mandi and their children came for one of Kathy's gourmet breakfasts. We got to visiting about the problems that the Cowboy Church was having. Then Kathy started planning a baby shower for Mandi. Mandi said she had filed a wish list with Walmart. I knew Dillard's etc. had that service so shouldn't have been surprised by Walmart.

I left at noon to drive home. I would have gotten there in four hours but I decided to take a side trip. I had seen the Cherry Mountain Loop road every time I drove from Mason to Fredricksburg so this time I decided to take the loop. It was an interesting drive, but if you plan to take it, always take it going south. I was going north and at the top of the mountain the road went straight and I missed a split. But it was interesting. I ended up on the road to Temple Gypsum plant. There were blasting signs in the fields and a huge processing plant. I finally figured out I was on the wrong road, came back to the split and followed the Cherry Mountain road. I passed the Cherry Mountain school that looked like it was straight out of the Waltons. I drove thru small rain showers and sunshine. Clouds thickened as I got closer to home. My rain guage said I had only gotten 0.14". But there are still clouds around and the weatherman has rain in the forecast for all week. Hope remains eternal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home