Saturday, September 26, 2009

TRAGEDY TRIBUTES AND GOSPEL SINGING

Thursday night when I left at 6 to go get Ike to go to the American Legion meeting a tragic accident occurred at the gate of the Spring Gap Ranch just a few yards west of my corner. A Cottonwood resident, Beth Bogue, living in the original Judge Robinson home was coming home from her job in Abilene when a teenager from Abilene going west at a high rate of speed hit her head on and killed her. He was flown to Hendrick and then to Lubbock, but if he lives will be charged with manslaughter. No word on whether drugs or alcohol were involved, but these wrecks shouldn't happen on FM 2228. That is my road. Now I am leery of every curve. Beth was related to Nancy Robinson Masters. I called Nancy to tell her. It wasn't in the newspaper until a story appeared in this morning's paper and her funeral was at 2.

I couldn't go to the funeral because Kathy, Mark, Kathy, along with two granddaughters, Ashley and Valerie and Lou's sister Sue with her daughter, Louann, were all going to the Books and Boots luncheon in Abilene where Lou and Elmer Kelton were remembered for their part in the West Texas Book Festival. We were joined at our table by Carol Thormer, Kathy Wilcox's friend and Margaret Waring the Comanche Librarian. Glenn Dromgoole did the remembrance and had our table stand for recognition. As usual we were entertained by the Hardin Simmons University cowboy band dressed in their chaps, hats and boots and really put on a show with some coming into the audience to serenade the ladies. They played tunes from the original 1923 band and they sounded very familiar. Featured authors, Nancy Masters told about writing books for children, Diane Gonzales Bertrand told about the problem of bilingual books when she was growing up and now she writes them. Gen. James Cross told about his life as Air Force One pilot for LBJ and run-ins with McNamara. Mike Renfro told about his book on Shiner Brewery that is celebrating its 100th anniversary. I helped celebrate by having a Shiner Bock with my Mexican food tonight. Then former Texan Bryan Burrough, now living in New Jersey, told about his book about the oil baron families of Texas. The luncheon concluded with the A. C. Greene award going to Kathi Appelt of College Station. I talked to her after and she knows Sylvia Grider. Didn't have time to make other connections.

We visited with other authors before and after the luncheon. My kids bought a lot of books. TTPress were featuring Lou's books. I made a round of the entire Hall of Authors and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of chocolates being passed out by the authors. I did go back and buy Bob Lapham's latest book. I enjoyed his first one about his career singing with Buddy Holly. His son who had a rock band in England is now mostly back in the US making a living as a graphics designer. Rock bands are a hard way to make a living. Lapham's book Ethan's Keys has a religious theme about men in powerful positions. A lot of books in the hall were religious as one would expect with all of the authors in McMurry, Hardin Simmons and Abilene Christian Universities. One author plied me with handouts to support his book the Christ will return in 2012 and it will be nothing like other authors have said. I haven't read all of it but we had an interesting exchange. He claimed he believed in God and Christ but was not religious. His wife had gone to the Church of Christ in Cross Plains as a girl.

NATURE REPORT When we get rain for three days as we did recently, immediately the whole place here produces mushrooms. Little bitty ones, larger and baseball size. Haven't seen the football size yet, but they may come yet. They are prolific everywhere you look. I read a few years ago that deer make up to 25% of their diet of mushrooms but I can't confirm that from my observations. They sure haven't any to pick from up until it rained.

Tomorrow I get my stitches out and my SS class learns how Pharoah's heart is as black as basalt. Despite plagues of blood, frogs, gnats, flies, fleas, hail and locusts. Things will change next week. Kathy says that she would like to stay here all week and I wish she could. Fall is nice weather out here on Halsell Hill. I have to get the mowers running this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home