Wednesday, September 30, 2009

THE FLAME IS FINISHED BUT THE LAWN STILL NEEDS MOWING

I had a problem with priorities today. It is supposed to have a chance for rain tomorrow and I wanted to mow but I was also determined to finish the September FLAME in September. I would like to email it tonight but don't have all my approvals. Tomorrow is October!

Tuesday was an interesting day. I spent the morning at the Big Country Library System meeting as an alternate to see what goes on. Margaret Waring from Comanche was there. She is a long time veteran and knows all the librarians. She insisted I go to lunch at Cypress Street Station with Louise Ledoux, librarian at Ozona and her lay representative, Charlotte who has a ranch there as does Louise. So I engaged them in small talk about the Livestock Weekly. Another librarian was Linda from Big Lake, all towns three times as large as Cross Plains. Margaret also had Donna Chapman, her rep from Comanche to complete the table. I did learn the name of Monte Noelke's "pal" who is another rancher.

Today I got an email that another long time friend has died. Dawn Cox was the widow of Sid Cox who was the Folklore prof at A&M who hired Sylvia Grider. We started going to the Texas Folklore Society in the '60s and Sid and Dawn were always there. They had hippy kids who traveled in a van and sold South American clothes and trinkets from the van. After Sid died Dawn continued to operate their small ranch at Blanco where she will be buried next to Sid on Saturday. I plan to go right now.

My nature walk to the mailbox is seeing the fall flowers starting to bloom. Tall stem purple blossoms are coming out. I used to know the name but can't remember now. The mushrooms are drying up but maybe if we get some rain tomorrow afternoon they will stage a comeback. Kathy and Carol harvested a bunch of little peaches off of the tree but the animals are still getting some. I am expecting the finch to show up any day, but so far just the permanent Cardinals, tufted Titmouse, a couple of goldfinch and a few other birds around. I am taking down the hummingbird feeders to encourage them to go on south. Maybe the next cold front will help them decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home