Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BUSY WEDNESDAY

This morning I went to town and got a new bandage at the Clinic. The nurse said it looked good and thought once a day would be good enough for changing. I then bought groceries and while I was putting them up, Dr. Len Ainsworth from Lubbock, who is a TT prof and a used book dealer came to look at our book collection. Several years ago when both Lou and I were feeling poorly and thinking about selling the house, I had asked him to look at buying our books. He wanted to see what we had so he took advantage of his wife visiting a friend in an Abilene nursing home to come by. He found a few books that he will send me a bid on. I also gave him a printout of the books we gave to TWU and he said he would appraise that for me.

Tonight I got to FUMC Administrative Council early. We had agreed to meet at 7 p.m., but the choir and other things ended up with us meeting at the usual time of 7:30. I took the minutes so I will have something to do tomorrow.

I got a note in the mail from Jody, Marsha Jacobson's daughter, reporting that Marsha died September 9. She didn't know that Lou died in April, so I will have to write her and ask for her email address so that we can communicate faster. Stan and Marsha were Jewish. We met them back around 1963 when Stan and I were both in a short course at MIT and Marsha took Lou under her wing and took her shopping at Filene's basement in Boston. We stayed in touch with them through their divorce and kept up with their family. They came to Kathy and Keith's wedding and we visited them in Los Angeles and later visited Marsha not too many years ago in Tucson. Jody became a pharmacist and I think her husband is an electrical engineer.

Today I called Ted Meiller. He and I formed Meiller Research company in College Station in 1964 to make and sell Torqheels that we had invented. He had a patent on a different design, I patented mine and we sold them all over the world but failed to market them well in the US. We sold most to a German company that sold them in Europe and South America. In the US we tried to sell them as a prescription item and that was a big mistake. Anyhow the company went bust but Ted kept making and selling Torqheels until last month, he said. He was a true inventor with several great inventions but we weren't able to market them. He had a dysfunctional family of boys who apparently had an alcoholic problem. His wife died a couple of years ago and I should have kept up with Ted better. He is planning a trip to Chicago to visit his 98 year old older brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home