Friday, September 11, 2009

WAFFLE JUSTIN BOOTS AND AUSTRALIAN RANCHING

This morning for breakfast at LaQuinta I made myself a Texas shaped waffle, with a cold boiled egg and apple for dessert. I then checked my email and went to the National Cowboy Symposium and attended a couple of the paper sessions. That is where Phyllis Bridges gave a paper on Enid Justin the woman who ran Justin and then Nocona Boots when her brothers moved the Justin Boots to Fort Worth. Phyllis being the penultimate prof handed out a sheet of photographs of Enid and some of her boot designs. Her father was the inventor of the cowboy boot. Before him the cowboys wore moccasins, brogans or military boots, none that were good in stirrups. Another paper was on the Warner Ranch in California that had a hot spring spa on it. It was the result of a Spanish land grant and had an interesting history. In the afternoon Jim Hoy who teaches and ranches at Emporia, KS told about his trip to a 1.9 million acre ranch in Australia where they herd the cattle with helicopters for branding and ear tags with RFID chips in them. Otherwise they don't doctor or mess with the cattle they run on huge ranges, one cow to 125 acres. They are rounded up and sold but have no vet bills. If they die they believe in the survival of the fittest. Braham cattle. The program ended with a musical presentation of the history of Doones Crossing on the Red River by a couple who take the parts of the man and his wife and they include songs. Interesting session.

I had a problem with the bandage that I had the urologist's nurse put on. It kept coming loose and hanging down. Phyllis Bridges gave me a luncheon ticket and after I stopped by the car, picked up some tape and got a nice young lady working for the Southwest Collection table to add tape and it is still sticking. Tonight I will wash my hair and attempt to put a clean bandage on by myself.

The lunch is a BBQ sandwich and beans out in the area where all of the chuck wagons are competing. Wandering around I ran into one from Muskogee, OK and sure enough they lived near the Muskogee Rodenbergers. We had a good chat. There was too much to see, but I decided to come on home and try to catch up here. I drove through several rain showers and then the road would be dry for a ways. As I came into Abilene I ran into light rain all the way home and even had to use an umbrella to unload the car. I rarely have that happen. Val called from SA to wish me happy birthday and said they got 2.5" yesterday and 1.5 today. I would love to get 4" in two days here. It would start my creek flowing. I had a total of 1.5" since I have been gone. .48" today.

The weather came on. The Rangers game was rained out as were some local foorball games. Tomorrow I am going to get that haircut Kathy R said I am overdue on. The melanoma doctor called this afternoon saying that the pathologist said the surgery was successful so I will get the final cosmetic surgery Monday at 2:30 to finish that episode in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home