Thursday, August 06, 2009

WILDLIFE AND LITERATURE

Just to show that I am still a little literate, I read Laura Payne Butler's contribution in the IRON HORSE LITERARY REVIEW that Lou subscribed to. It is published by TT. Her story was about a young daughter of a prostitute living in a tent in 1922 in Borger during the oil boom. She gets her emotions well.

I have another coon battle. Yesterday when I came back from my walk to the mailbox, the 3 gallon galvanized can that I keep the fish food in had been opened. It had a fairly tight lid held on by the handle and it had been knocked over before but never opened. The sacks of fish fook were out but largely intact. So I put it back together, and inserted a large plastic end cap under the handle that fit really well. This morning the can was gone. I looked around and saw the plastic cap on the ground several yards away. I looked further and saw the can, unopened but lodged way under a cedar tree that was a real hassle to get under and pull it out. I did but have been shedding cedar stuff all over the house. At least he didn't remove either of the deer feeder lids after filling them yesterday.

I finally saw some goldfish for the first time in a month. They are a new crop less than an inch long and hungry. Didn't see any large ones but I am sure they are there. Yesterday Momma Fox was out of character. Usually when I open the back door the fox all dash into the tree cover, but Momma stood on the terrace and watched me as I took down the hummingbird feeder to refill it. I dump the little in it on my potted tomato plant and when I went back in the screen porch she came down and went up to the plant to see if I had put anything edible out. This morning when I came back with the mail, she was on the front lawn and watched me check the deer feeder and let me walk by her to the house. She then trotted on across the front lawn to whereever she was going.

The automatic deer feeder isn't working. The clock is set OK and it works when I press the test button, but isn't feeding when the switches are set at 7, noon and 6. I have contacted the company by email because the wait time on their phone was 30 minutes.

I called the flight training people today to find out what it would cost to learn to fly. The current rate is $105 an hour for the plane and $45 - 50 for an instructor. I think I could learn fairly fast so I don't know how many hours it will take. I won't do it in a hurry because I don't have that kind of money, now that I can hear.

My computer is running slowly because I bought Carbonite to back up the desk top and it has been running for 24 hours and is a little more than half through. I was aggravated that it didn't give me the option to select the files I wanted to back up. It is doing the whole thing. I have inserted a USB drive to see if it will include those files. Dell's backup won't back up the thumb drive and that is where I keep all of my latest files.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Charles,

I work for Carbonite. During the installation process you had the option to manually select the files you wanted to back up, or to let Carbonite automatically choose what to back up. If you went with the automatic option, you can always change your mind. Simply double-click the lock icon in your system tray (down by the clock) to open the Carbonite InfoCenter. Under the "Set Options" tab, click the link that says "Stop automatically managing my backup." You can then select only the files and folders you want backed up. If there's anything in your backup already that you'd like to remove, just locate the file on your computer, right-click the file and select "Don't back this up" from the Carbonite menu.

I hope that helps. And while I know the initial backup seems slow, once it's finished, Carbonite only backs up new and changed files so it will happen in the background and you won't even notice it.

Alison

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home