Friday, July 24, 2009

TWO DIFFERENT DAYS

I have to get a mouse and disable the pad on this laptop. I just typed a paragraph and my hand apparently activated the pad so that it deleted everything I had written and it hadn't been saved.

I will try again. Yesterday I got up early and drove to town in a drizzle to meet with the Methodist Men. Someone mentioned the moon landing 40 years ago so I had to tell some of my working for NASA on the Apollo project. My assignment was to protect the astronauts from being killed by meteorite strikes and I guess I was successful because none have been. But I know that we have just been lucky. The threat is still there and magnified by all of the space junk we have added since then. I told them about the tests run by Ling Temco Vought that fried rats in lab simulations of meteoroid hits. They were breathing 100% oxygen and when the simulated micrometeoroid penetrated their container the flame went down inside of them. So we worried about the astronauts who were breathing low pressure pure oxygen.

After the meeting I decided that I needed to get out of the house so I turned the car south and drove to Fredricksburg to ask Kathy Shearer about her son Travis. I just missed her. She spent the night in San Antonio and caught a plane to go to North Carolina to attend the wedding of Travis' wife's sister. Travis is coming in from Iraq so they were having a family reunion. I ran into Cheryl ? from Hamlin who has been a president of West Texas Historical Association. She was buying books to sell at her store in Hamlin. She has a unique last name I can never remember. I walked around the streets of Fredricksburg to get the exercise I was missing at home.

Not getting my nap yesterday meant that I slept late this morning and got up at 8. I fed the wildlife and saw the fox kits again. The battery died in the deer feeder so I recharged it all day. I read the papers from yesterday, wrote my newspaper column, wrote the Kiwanis my email reminding them of the next meeting. (My computer just erased another line, grrr). I will get back to work. The Rangers are ahead in the seventh, but the game ain't over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home