Friday, June 19, 2009

TWO MORE DAYS AT WWA

Today we got to tour the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum where they were holding their annual book signing event. I don't know if it got much local publicity because I didn't see a lot of locals coming in to buy books. Of course having Elmer Kelton at home sick didn't help because he is always a great draw. Even I didn't buy my usual $100 worth. But Kathy found a lot of things in their gift shop. Kathy and I spent a couple of hours looking at the entire museum which is fantastic. Western art and sculpture, Indian displays, Mexican charro exhibits and replicas of a frontier town and a rodeo arena all with sound and visual displays including some 3-D opportunities.

I goofed up and missed the Agents and Editors panel where Judith Keeling from Texas Tech Press announced the Lou Rodenberger award for a manuscript that will be printed by the Press. The financing has started with a nice gift from Charles and Cheryl Korbell and I expect others to contribute as we get the information out. I will pick up flyers to take back to Cross Plains. I missed the meeting because Mike Powell stopped by at breakfast and we listened to his war stories about being hit by enemy fire on his second helicopter mission in Vietnam. He showed us the armor piercing bullet he keeps with his dogtags. He also gave us the story of his daughter driving her car into the San Francisco Bay at 2:30 in the morning and having to float for three hours until a passing boat finally heard her cries. Needless to say we were late for the panel.

I had thought that the announcement of the award would be made at the Spur Finalists Luncheon or the Spur Awards tomorrow night so I goofed and missed it at the panel. Tomorrow or Sunday morning we hope to be able to drive by the Federal building in downtown OKC that was bombed to see that memorial on the advice of my brother Robert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home