Tuesday, June 30, 2009

TUESDAY KIWANIS GOES TO CHINA

I went to Abilene in the rain for my dental appointment. The technician recommended a Sonicare electric toothbrush so when I recycled at HEB I added one to my pills and wine purchases. I then took my old hearing aids to Holland Hearing Center to see if they could revive them or send them back to the factory for maintenance. They called me later to say that they had them working but the factory said they were too old to rework. I asked them to mail them to me and made an appointment for new hearing aids in August.

I got back to CP in very light rain to visit with Carl Edington before Kiwanis. Carl got his degree in petroleum geology by correspondence from Texas Tech and Kansas U. He formed a partnership with petroleum engineer Russell and had offices in Abilene and Kansas. They ran a core testing laboratory plus working on wells in TX, OK and Kansas.

Kiwanis had Jake Estes who just graduated from high school, tell about his mission trip to China where they were frustrated from their assignment to teach English at a rural school when the school said they wouldn't admit them because of the swine flu in the US. They did get to visit with Chinese youth who wanted to practice their English and saw a lot of the local country. He said the food was good in all the restaurants and he used chop sticks. He brought back an umbrella farmer's hat and lots of special chopsticks.

It continued to sprinkle all day and late this afternoon I mounted an outside rain guage that has an inside dial, but it quit raining so that I didn't get a good test on it. Maybe it will rain tomorrow. We have a slight chance and it has rained a little the last two days. Tomorrow I may get the new deer feeder up, or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home