Monday, June 22, 2009

FULL MENU FOR DAYS

Saturday was the big day at WWA. Having grown up in Oklahoma I have always been interested in Indians and went to a couple of the panels focused on Indians. One was looking at the Washita Battleground where Custer wiped out a Cheyenne camp and killed Chief Black Kettle who had been pursuing peace after his village was destroyed by Col. Chivington in the notorious Sand Creek massacre. Mike Blakely's last book told that story well. I told Mike I wanted to read his third novel in the trilogy and it might have the Washita battle.

Of course that night was the Spur Awards banquet which is the reason everyone goes to WWA. Kathy and I went on stage to accept the Stirrup Award that Lou won. It is given for the best article published in the Roundup last year and is voted on by all the members. It was an emotional presentation by Candy Moulton, the editor, whose editorial in the current Roundup was an essay on Lou. I commented that Lou had won one Stirrup and had to ride side saddle until she won this one and could ride straight.

The next morning we got up early, ate breakfast at the Waffle House and drove to Antlers. Kathy thought eastern Oklahoma was pretty country. I kept singing about the Oklahoma Hills where I was born. It is hilly all the way south down the Turnpike. We had a wonderful meeting with not only my brother Robert and his wife Tommie, their daughter, Liz, now living in Antlers, but still working in Hugo. Her daughter, Nicole, came in from OK City where she works and Bryce, Liz's youngest daughter was there. Kathy got to see Robert's home and Bryce showed her their latest photo collection.

We left there at 2 and got to Mark's house at 6 where Mary Kathryn had prepared a great BBQ meal with her own sauce that she was bottling after. I don't know if she is taking orders. Of course she had a dessert of a new brownie recipe that was to die for. It was closer to fudge. They had Father's day celebration with Ashley and Ross there as well as MK's mother and her aunt. Mark and MK gave me bird feed and a squirrel baffle to put on my metal feeder that was torn up when we got home. We got home as it was getting dark after watching a couple of stray thunderstorms raining on a couple of spots north of I-20 with the setting sun behind it.

Today was really busy. I started the laundry, fed the birds, and Kathy took me to the mailbox while she picked up Vanessa's stuff stored at Halsell House. She then took me, the mail and the flag that I had left up during flag week back to the house and she left for San Antonio. Needed to be there at 1. She called to say she had made it.

I then hoed grass burrs, watered the front plants, finished the laundry and went to CP where I left flyers on the Lou Rodenberger book prize at the Library. I took one to the Review office and Vanda let me read the opening pages of her book about how God has interacted with her life and not only has talked to her but sent her guardian angel that she has seen. Fascinating stories that I hope a religious book company will publish. I ate at Subway and visited with Rick Potter. He told me that James Nichols is not in the hospital that relieved my mind. I bought deer and bird feed and groceries, got a nap and handled a bunch of email. Gifts are already coming in for the TTPress Fund for Lou's book award. Charlie and Cheryl Korbell started the ball rolling and Fran Vick has added to it. I plan to when I can. It is a tax-deductible gift to Texas Tech Foundation through the TTUniv Press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home