Sunday, November 01, 2009

BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY

An extra hour of sleep was helpful because I missed my afternoon nap driving back. The Festival didn't open until 11 but I got there at 10 to help get started. I did my book buying. I had A&M Press bring me 10 copies of LET'S HEAR IT so that I can have some to give as presents. I still think it is the best short story collection in existence.

I forgot that yesterday I got to see Mark Busby and his wife who were very warm in greeting me. We get along great even though they are on the other side of the political spectrum. Then today Paula Marks and her husband came by and visited. Bill Neal and his wife greeted me. Bill was on a panel this morning and had a blast. I still think his book SEX MURDER AND TEH UNWRITTEN LAW ought to sell a million copies just based on the title. I haven't had time to read it but he writes in a folksy storytelling manner. He has researched the subject with his lawyer's insight and shows how the law was interpreted by old Southern morals. So it was OK to kill an adulterer. And your wife if she had been a willing participant.

I was a poor salesman and didn't sell one membership during my hour of work this morning. I hope the others did a better job after I left. But I learned that I was a failure as a salesman 50 years ago. I left about 12:30 and stopped at DQ in Lampasas to eat a grilled chicken sandwich and I always drink a small chocolate shake. I got home at 4. I accidently tuned in the last two minutes of the Dallas Cowboy game to hear them win.

I am mad at myself for losing my November Day Timer and will have to get a notebook to keep my records for the month and it will be a full month with all of the traveling and meetings. Tomorrow I plan to hear Sherrie McLeroy at the Abilene Public Library at noon in their author's series. Then Wednesday we all go to Denton for the dedication of the Lou Rodenberger Woman's Collection in the TWU Library and then hear the Joyce Thompson lecture by the Dallas artistic director who has been on WBAP for the last week talking about their new musical series in Dallas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home