Saturday, October 17, 2009

CROSS PLAINS CANCER WALK

It was a beautiful day for the cancer walk in Cross Plains. My first time to participate even though Lou's name has been on their list for years. I had funded Arlene Stephenson to walk five miles remembering Lou. When I saw her walking by herself I had to walk with her. I got in three and a half miles. I missed two laps with her. Her husband Tom walked one mile. The event starts with a march from the Dairy Queen to the high school. The remaining events occur on the football field where they walk around the race track. Booths to sell all kinds of food, bingo, silent and vocal auctions, oportunities to buy balloons with lights in them to release at the end when the lights are turned off plus other opportunities to give to the fund exist. I helped with the Library table that offered coffee or hot chocolate. We were next to the Masons selling hotdogs. At the end they gave them away. I ruined my diet by eating a Frito pie after walking the first two miles. It was pure grease. I ended up eating two hotdogs, drank a Dr. Pepper and a hot chocholate and ate cookies offered by friends. It helped a little to walk a lot. I decided that I fit right in as a cancer survivor after having the melanoma cut off of my head. The report was that this year's crowd was less than last year, but the weather couldn't have been any better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home