Saturday, October 31, 2009

BEAUTIFUL BOOKFEST IN AUSTIN

The weather is perfect for this year's Texas Book Festival. I didn't see Laura Bush, but Kinky Friedman walked by me when I was eating standing by the fence near the food tents. He had his cigar and people were stopping him to shake his hand. He acknowledged me as he walked by. Last night I met a eHarmony match, Joan Knox, who had commented on this blog asking if I was for real. She drove me to the Domain area next to the hotel here on Mopac that is a new high dollar addition to Austin with Nieman-Marcus a street that looked like Saks Fifth Ave in NYC with high dollar high fashion in the windows. We found a restaurant new to both of us. McCormick and Schmicks Seafood. We asked our waiter and there are 103 of them with another in Austin and a new one coming to Dallas. The food and wine were great and moderately priced to be in such a high dollar location. We skipped Joe Dimaggio's Italian restaurant but it sounded good. I ate too much. Although the salmon stir fry was very good I should not have added the brownie with ice cream and cup of coffee. However with a couple of Tums I slept well and even woke up later than I planned.

I got to the Festival a little after 9 and went to work in the Texas Folklore Society booth with Lucy West and Meredith Abarca who sold the first couple of memberships to Latinos. They were very persuasive. Meredith is going to Tibet on a tour and they spotted two women walking by one wearing a Tibetan jacket that she had bought on a tour and told them all about. Another woman was wearing a specially carved stone in her necklace and they identified it a Tibetan. I was amazed.

I helped sell a few memberships and thought we did well during the day. I got to walk the tents and coming in got to talk to Judith Keeling at TTPress who said she was preparing a grant request to fund the Lou Rodenberger Literary Prize and was hopeful. I told her I was surprised with the lack of support after all of the distribution of notices of the prize. The Roundup had a back cover full page notice, but maybe friends will think about it during the season of giving. I got to visit with Judy Alter, who was signing her cookbook and wearing a chef's cap. Got to see L. D. Clark who always has his own table to sell his books. He even has a children's book out now. Bob Flynn walked by. He had a special book on a booth for a San Antonio press. Got to visit with Rue Judd who moved Bright Star Press from Albany to Houston. I told her I didn't appreciate Albany beating Cross Plains last night 53-0. Her husband explained to me that Albany trains their sixth graders to run the same plays as the varsity and brings them up through the ranks. That reminds me that the son of our preacher was injured in the junior varsity game Thursday night in CP that broke his knee cap and a leg bone. He will be in a cast for several weeks and miss his deer hunt. This being the start of the deer season.

I also visited with UNT and SMU press. I asked Mary Lynn Dixon with A&M Press to order 10 copies of LET'S HEAR IT. They will bring them tomorrow. The poor new representative had no idea about the book and I had to explain it to her. I still think it is the best short story book available. Carolyn Osborn came by to tell me that she will have her first novel out for the Festival next year. Later her husband Joe came by to visit. He has been retired for two years now. They are supporters of the Festival financially. This year they are supporting Sarah Bird.

I guess my Aggie son-in-law is happy. Haven't heard from him but they had tickets to the Aggie game and the Aggies won again in two weeks. Tech won a game and I am now watching two of my alumni teams battling in Stillwater. I remember sneaking into OAMC games when I was a youngster in Stillwater and now that they are funded by T. Boone Pickens they have a pretty good team. But Texas is whipping up on them to start.

I am going to get a good night's sleep work until noon tomorrow and head back home. Monday I will go to Abilene to hear Sherry McLeroy review her new book at the Abilene Public Library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home