Monday, September 07, 2009

MEMORABLE MEMORIAL WEEKEND

I returned home from a great weekend with my daughter and her offspring. We started in San Antonio where I got to see for the first time Kathy and Keith's home. We then journeyed to Bryan/College Station first to leave a coffee table with Vanessa who was hosting Jon-Marc who later went to the first Aggie game with Keith. Vanessa acted as their taxi to take them early to watch the Corps march in before the game and picked them up so that they got back earlier than I expected after the game. We were hosted by long time friend and Lou's co-author Sylvia Grider who generously let us sleep all over the house. I got the fold out sofa bed. Kathy and Keith slept on a air mattress.

A big event was the visit Kathy set up to look at the home we lived in for 21 years and the kids grew up in. We sold it to Dr. Ralph Young who grew up around the block and wanted to live in the area when he returned to practice Urology. He was concerned about our approval of his modifications to the house, but we were delighted with the full front porch on the front and the extra rooms added to the back as well as the three car garage on the back of the lot. We spent a couple of hours discussing all of our mutual friends. He recently had breakfast with Ted Meiller and reported he is doing well although his wife and three of his sons are deceased. I need to call Ted. Ralph was 10 years older than Kathy and got out the old high school year books and Kathy recalled a lot of friends. Ralph even gave me advice on my prostate for free.

We had eaten lunch with Sylvia at a BBQ place and that night Kathy had brought a lot of special treats of nuts, fruit, and muffins she made.

Sunday morning we left early and got to the Cowboy Church in Devine just before the service started and enjoyed singing the well known and a new hymn before my grandson, Jim Wilcox, gave a sermon based on Ephesians. He did a great job and Kathy is going to send all of us copies of the sermon. Although the church had food after church we opted to eat at the steak house in Devine. Greatgrandson Brent and I had steaks while the others browsed the buffet and Kathy ate salad. We then visited Jim and Mandi's new house which is her parents old house that they are fixing up. I fussed at Mandi about her having Jim and Christopher haul off all of the potential beautiful rocks collected for years by her grandmother. A lot of petrified wood, large crystalline rocks, white lava like rocks that look like animal skulls as well as others. I told her that a lot of them can be polished into jewelry and other uses.

Sunday afternoon after our naps, Kathy took me to Valerie's new house that I hadn't seen. It was a home that Keith had remodeled and that was how she found out about it. The remodeled cabinets were impressive but what was really interesting was a large cabinet in the dining room that Val could turn the lights inside on by running her hand over the hinge. The people let her buy it along with the living room furniture when they sold it to her. What really impressed me was the wall decorations. She was putting together a shadow box of a poem that Lou wrote with some other memorabilia. I hadn't seen the poem. Kathy had found it on her desk in her things. Another special frame held photos of Val as a baby and growing up that had been put together by Vanessa.

Coming home today, I got to Santa Anna at noon at at at Double H family restaurant that I almost missed because it is back behind some storage buildings. And tomorrow back to trips to the doctor office starting with hearing aid doc then Wednesday to talk to the melanoma surgeon. Don't know if he will remove it that day or schedule it. I may try to make an appointment with my urologist in Lubbock and attend the National Cowboy Symposium Friday and Saturday. Should be an interesting week. I got my laundry done by coming back early today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home