Thursday, August 27, 2009

LONG THURSDAY

Today started hopefully with a drizzle falling as I left for the 6:30 Methodist Men's meeting, but didn't run my wipers all the way to town. Drove under clouds to Abilene for the skin doc's appointment. As usual he had to squirt liquid nitrogen, this time on three places around my head and none in the top of my skull, but he found a suspicious one on the back of my head and took a sample for biopsy with the irritating comment, "possible melanoma". I will get that report next week.

I then went to the Flag Store and bought a staff, stand and eagle ornament for the Library to display a flag given to us that was flown on a 911, in 2002, I think. I delivered it when I came back through CP after the funeral.

I drove 277 to San Angelo through the hill country and through a wind turbine farm and out of the clouds into the sun and I had forgotten my new shades. I got to SA early so drove around, found a pharmacy and bought some Icaps for my vitamins. I waited until 11 and ate at Chinese Kitchen eating one of their Korean specialities that was BBQ beef with Kimchi and fluffy rice. Eating with chopsticks also added a little time. I drove out of the shopping center and saw a car wash. That took a little more time and made my car look a lot better. Got to the church very early. Walked down their entry hall in the back of the church and read the story of Asbury. One of the early circuit riders was a Dromgoole and I told Glenn about it after the funeral. The first ones that I saw in the hallway were Darrell and Mary Vines from Lubbock and Levelland. Mary was one of Lou's students in high school in Levelland. Darrell got his PhD in Electrical Engineering at A&M and taught for years at Texas Tech. They told me about being at Elmer's home on the day that Lou died and Elmer told him he had just gotten the message.

A lot of Texas Folklore Folks were there. The first ones who saw me in the pews early were Elaine and Blaine Williams who make and sell audio tapes of Folklore and other sessions. Then Margaret Waring the 40 year head librarian at Comanche who got a ride with Jerry Hunt who is Elmer's bibliographer. Then Dearden, Jim Harris, and Judy Alter came with Melinda Esco who is main stay at TCU Press and told me she knew a lady in Cross Plains named Becky Odom. I told her she was in my Sunday School class and she said she was a good friend of her daughter who was murdered in Penneys in Fort Worth about 20 years ago.

Saw a lot of other friends like Glenn Dromgoole, Preston Lewis, Steve Kelton and Ross McSwain. I left SA seeing rain to the north but still sunny on the highway with 100 degree temps. Drove under the clouds even thru a small rainshower that the wax job on the car didn't even require the wipers to be able to see through the windshield. Got home and went back to American Legion meeting. As I drove home a 7:30 I could see a heavy rain out my way and when I got close it was raining, but not any on the road and my fancy rain gauge said I had .08" when I left this morning and a total of .10" for the day. But any little bit helps and that is a little.

I have watched the first half of the ACU vs. NW MO STATE game that was delayed by a storm that came thru Abilene. I am not going to stay up for the whole game but ACU is ahead 16 -0 at half. I am tired out. And still need to publish the Flame for the church.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gone with you to the funeral. I am sorry you had to go by yourself, but I am glad you got to see alot of people. I would love to meet Judy Alter one day. I am glad you are home safe and sound and that you got some rain even though it wasn't alot.

I am looking forward to seeing you next weekend!! So is Mom! We love you, Val.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home