Monday, August 24, 2009

LIFE GOES ON

This morning I looked out when I got up and saw four small fox kits in the front yard. There must be another family around. I ran to get my camera and the batteries were dead so I am charging some more. Then when I walked this morning I took Roy Hunter's advice. Yesterday in SS class I was complaining about being out of shape. He asked if I was still walking. I said I was but that didn't help my upper arm strength and he showed me how to exercise my arms as I walked. I didn't follow his advice exactly. This morning I picked up a fairly large rock, (I have a lot of them in my caliche road) and used them to exercise my arms all the way to the mailbox and hefted the mail coming back. I think I will keep that up. I got my trimmer out to get some arm exercise, but the batteries for it were not charged either. Manana.

I got some respite from mourning Elmer Kelton and Charles Linck by thinking about the reunion in heaven with Lou visiting with Don Coldsmith, Elmer, and Charles and wondering what they are writing about up there. I got an email with the following New Yorker blog: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2009/08/elmer-kelton.html
I emailed to thank him and to tell him that I thought Mike Blakely's books were better than McMurtry. He thanked me for the input and asked for other ideas about Texas writers so I couldn't resist telling him about LET'S HEAR IT and Jane Gilmore Rushing. He was very generous in his reply.

Sunday School again challenged my class when they learned about Jacob becoming Israel and listing the ten tribes. Rachel dies in childbirth with Benjamin which will make him special later. Then we get the disasterous story of Dinah being raped with Simeon and Levi taking revenge in a bloody manner that will affect their heritage later. After church I drove to Fort Worth and had lunch at Macaroni Grill with an interesting writer. I had the spinach and scallops for my macular degeneration. More spinach than I could eat. We then went to Barnes and Noble across the street to look at the FWST and Dallas Morning News to see how they covered Elmer. They didn't have a DMN and the Startlegram had no story. Too early for them. They did have stories today. Coming back from FW I stopped for gas at Cisco and to pick up another couple of Abilene Reporter-News that had a story on Elmer that quoted me as well as Carleton Stowers and Glenn Dromgoole, who I suspected recommended us. They had that story posted on the Church bulletin board Sunday morning. Carleton is Tom Stephenson's nephew, I think. Some close relative. Back to my travels. I saw a guy who looked just like Jon-Mark carrying a small gas can and walking west. I stopped and he said his car was out of gas back toward Abilene. We drove for about 5 miles to find his Cadillac Convertible. He added the gas and I followed him back to Cisco so I got home later than I expected, but he was happy. He was at least 6' 6" and a good 300 pounds and almost didn't fit in my front seat. Said he was born in Levelland, but moved to California when he was 3 months old. I told him I was married in Levelland. He was on his way from Abilene to Dallas where his mother was in the hospital. An interesting day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home