Thursday, July 09, 2009

THURSDAY WITH WALLACE BENNETT

I started the morning early going to the Methodist Men's prayer meeting. I got there exactly at 6:30, but was too late for the devotional. I am setting my alarm clock earlier next time.

Then this afternoon I picked up Wallace Bennett, who was the editor of the Methodist Reporter for about 30 years to hear Doug Williamson, a 33 year veteran reported on the Abilene Reporter-News who told about the changes in the newspaper business. We had an interesting discussion with one older gray haired fellow telling about a grandson who is in school to become a doctor who never reads a newspaper and gets all his news from his cell phone. We had some young people in the room who were on their texting phones during the meeting who helped us understand the problems of getting news to young people. Another problem was the overload of too much news from computers and internet, Facebook and twitters. I ran into the physics prof who wrote the Oped supporting the Cap and Trade bill. I told him I had written a response but the ARN didn't print it. He said we could discuss it and I made my point that carbon dioxide has no correlation to global warming and he disagreed with me. I didn't argue with him because he is one giant of a man who looked down at me.

Wallace and I then went to Texas Star where Carol Walt was signing her latest book, UNIDENTIFIED TEXAS OBJECTS: Tales from the Weird, Wild West. Wallace bought one for each of us while I was parking the car. Carol said she had a book signing next week at Denton at NTSU. I told her she would probably get a couple of people from Dallas coming over. Her husband was a Police Captain for years in Dallas before they bought a ranch at Pioneer. They go to our church.

Coming home we drove back on Hiway 18, the old Bankhead Highway. Wallace wanted me to see the new granite monument on the Callahan County courthouse lawn that he got there through the Callahan County Historical Commission. Coming back down FM 2228 he showed me the old signature tree where Callahan county was organized back in 1884, I think. The tree is looking bad on the bark. We came by old Callahan City site and Wally pointed out the old well that supplied the city with water. When the railroad built north thru Baird the county seat was moved and Callahan City disappeared except for an old cemetery.

I then stopped and showed Wally the art work on the Springgap Ranch gate that has all of the plants, birds and animals in the metal art work, except we couldn't find a mountain lion that they have seen on the ranch and on my place. I didn't see it, but Ken Craig said he saw it just on my side of the fence one day. I got Wally home before 9 so he could see his wife that he hasn't seen in so long he wondered if he would know her. She had a new hairdo and looked great but is leaving him tomorrow to go to a funeral in FW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home