Monday, April 06, 2009

CLARIFICATION OF THE TTPRESS AWARD

I garbled the report on the award to be named for Lou and Judith Keeling, editor-in-chief sent me this clarification of the award:

Just one slight correction re the award. There’s no monetary award yet. We will seek funding, but can begin by offering an advance and a guaranteed paperback edition. The draft (not final) description of the award is for the best manuscript on or by a woman whose writing illuminates Texas history, culture, and letters, especially in West Texas and the border region.

Lou agreed to the reading for the award.

He will kill me for publishing this but this email came from Jeff Singleton:

The intro could have been worse, I guess. You could have mentioned that we met in an English class - poetry no less.

After my maybe 12 minutes of writing I read it and my immediate reaction was “ugh what an awful poem.” But it conveyed what I was trying to say to Lou so I sent it – for her to read, with, due to its ugliness, no fear that it would find print in any form certainly not such that her literary friends and comrades might see it.

It was my first ever attempt at poetry and gained me new respect for the work of poets. The first two stanzas seem to come easily, the third takes some teeth gritting and after that I don’t know because I pretty much gave up. If ever I attempt another I promise to allocate more time, gather a Thesaurus first, and try to work in some rhymes and iambics and pentameters or whatever after I look them up.

At my age I should know better than to indite amongst the literati.

If it gave you a good moment then I’m glad. I have only a few million more to go to balance out all those you have given me.


I am not a member of the literati like Lou but I thought it was one of the best poems I have read. At the last TIL meeting we attended we listened to some poetry from the literati that wasn't half as good. Charles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home