Tuesday, March 31, 2009

LAST AND LONGEST DAY OF MARCH

Today was eventful. Lou had another restless night and was up several times. Then at 2 a.m. she went to the bathroom and almost didn't make it back to bed. Her legs became rubbery and I had to assist. She barely was able to sit on the high bed on her side for me to lift her legs into bed. I brought the bedside commode so that she wouldn't have far to go. She would have no part of it. I became so concerned that she wouldn't be able to walk anymore that at 3 a.m. I called hospice to ask for assistance and request a hospital bed that would be lower to get into and asked about other help. They said that the would order a bed for me. I slept a while but when Lou got up at 5 and again at 6 and insisted on going to the bathroom on her wobbly legs I got up at 6 and dressed and shaved and waited.

Lou went back to sleep and didn't finally get up until 10. I had eaten my breakfast at 8 and fixed hers at 10:30. I decided against going to Kiwanis but needed to take care of some business in town and buy groceries. The Methodist angel Susan Hunter came with food that she and I ate when I got back at noon. I am now in hog heaven. She brought brownies and I have three different kinds to choose from. She fed me like she feeds her husband, pork chops, baked potato and brocolli with corn bread.

The hospice nurse called just after I left for town to say she had just gotten the message I left at 3 a.m. and had ordered a bed and table. She came at 3 p.m. and helped me rearrange furniture in the bedroom to prepare for the hospital bed. She said the workers only set up the bed and wouldn't help move furniture. I took the keyboard upstairs. We moved the bed over but when the hospital bed came in it is too crowded and I may take advantage of Susan offering her husband Roy and her brother to come help move the queen bed upstairs and bring one of the twin beds down. If not Mark said that he and Corky Henderson were coming Friday and would help. It is going to be an interesting night. The nurse ordered an air mattress which is common to prevent bed sores, but I don't know how Lou will like it. I set it on firm. She hasn't see the setup yet. The nurse also offered to put a catheter in so that Lou won't feel the need to go every 15 minutes. I just hope we can catch up on some sleep tonight. The nurse also brought a pill organizer box and put all the pills for the week in the right slot so I won't forget. That will be a help.

Lou continues to have pain and we have switched from hydrocone to liquid morphine when she needs relief. She takes it in a little coke and it goes down fine. Lou is having a great time today reading her quilt from Mary Kathryn with the squares that everyone wrote. She says she wishes that she was really all the good things that are said about her. She said she has been some of them.

Thanks for your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home