Monday, January 07, 2008

FIRST WEEK OF THE NEW YEAR
It has been a pretty good week for the new year. I am really enjoying the chocolate in many forms. Lou and I have been able to walk to the mailbox and back several times including this morning. I am doing a lot better and Lou is doing well except that her back is giving her fits. She was doing well until she had to start chemo again. I hope this session Wednesday will be her last, but she expects to have at least one more.

We had an unexpected visit from our friends Dr. Richard and Mary Ann Chaffin last Friday. They have moved to Lubbock. Richard was our pastor in Cross Plains for five years and lost their home in the 2005 fire. They spend a lot of time in their RV and Mary Ann writes great travelogues. We got into a discussion about devotionals and Mary Ann said she wanted to have some that are written more for our age than young workers. I told them about reading my Guideposts devotional for January 3 that was written by Carol Kuykendal (?) telling how she was filling out her calender for January by writing in a date for chemotherapy. Her husband had taken her to the hospital on an emergency basis, she had surgery and found that she had stage IV ovarian cancer. I told Lou that we were better off than she because four weeks earlier her husband had been diagnosed with a brain tumor. So Richard wrote down the address of Guideposts. I am fortunate that my daughter has given me a Guideposts book every year as long as I can remember.

Lou is still reading novels for the Spur award and December was the end of the time for entries, but she got a couple of books this week. One had been shipped by UPS early in December the other was sent after the deadline. I am reading a book to be reviewed for the Library about the Wright Brothers.

Tomorrow we will get to visit with our Alaska schoolteacher niece. We are looking forward to that. We aren't looking forward to Wednesday and chemo, but the weather looks good. Keep Lou in your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home