Wednesday, January 13, 2010

AT INDIAN LODGE

Monday as we drove to Cross Plains, the EMC ambulance turned down the road to Wallace Bennett's home. When the Cross Plains Library board met they reported that Wallace had Carol call to say he wouldn't be able to come due to a diabetic episode.

I am now on a new committee. Cross Plains will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2011 and the mayor has asked for a planning committee to represent all of the organizations in CP. I will represent the Library. We left CP in time to pick up mail at home and drive to Abilene to eat lunch at Town Crier. I had my usual teriyaki chicken. I called Wallace and was pleased to find him at home.

We then drove to Indian Lodge and got there before the sun went down because we were driving with the sun and it goes down a lot later in the Davis mountains. We found that not only did we not have cell phones we had to go to the lobby to find an internet connection. I called Kathy on the hotel phone to check in.

Tuesday we ate breakfast at the nice restaurant in the Lodge and drove to McDonald observatory. We had a great tour guide who lives in the Olympia Estates where the Halsell compound has all of the unusual construction using crosses everywhere. I had been to the observatory before but didn't remember the demonstration of the movement of the telescope up and down and the rotation of the tower to open the window for viewing. They keep the temperature cool so that it will be about the same when they open it at night. The next couple of days will be perfect for viewing. We then toured the newest large reflective telescope using multiple mirrors supported by truss structures that looked like something a civil engineering class would design.

We drove to Fort Davis to eat late. I checked my cell phone and had two messages from Kathy. One was early in the morning telling me that my number one grandson Jim was in the hospital for emergency gall bladder surgery. When I called her about 3 he was out of surgery and in recovery but had had gangrene so it was a close call on the surgery. He will be pumped full of antibiotics and remain in the hospital overnight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Papa Israel said...

We?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Dr. Rodenberger said...

We are me and Nancy Johnston from Granbury. We both had asked God to take over our search for a partner and feel like he connected us. We were discussing what our future together will be.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Papa Israel said...

Thanks, Charles. I remember Indian Lodge and the Davis Mountain country. I remember when Ft. Davis was still in ruins. The Prude family were my good friends. John Prude was my mentor when I attended Sul Ross 1953-56. I played baseball and basketball down there.
Regards,
Curtis

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home