Monday, January 26, 2009

MONDAY IS WASH DAY

And boy did I have laundry today. Lou was really feeling bad yesterday because she had been constipated since Tuesday and was feeling worse due both to the chemo effects combined with the concern that she had "locked bowels". She had an aunt who died when Lou was a teenager from "locked bowels" and that was the problem that put her in the hospital in 2006. So it is a huge worry. Last night I was praying and the solution came to me that she needed an enema to get her started. She has been taking Phillips Milk of Magnesia Sat and Sun night. When she got up this morning she really felt bad and we even discussed getting nursing help but she said wait until the afternoon. I looked for an enema bulb, but we don't have one. She didn't eat any breakfast and I started the laundry.

Then about 9 all hell broke loose. The laxative came through and we no longer had to worry about constipation. Before she could get to the toilet, she was dripping on the floor and of course I added her shoes, socks, panties, and trousers to my laundry cycle. The process was repeated all morning long. I washed three complete sets before it settled down and only messed with underthings. She must have gone to the pot 10 times. In the afternoon she was so tired of the diarrhea that she started taking Immodium against my advice. I was glad to see her bowel cleansing and reducing the size of her swollen stomach. It really took it out of her and she was worn out when she went to bed. All day she sat in her chair and slept until she had to run to the pot. What I am grateful for is that it didn't occur at night as it has in the past and had me washing sheets. But I got the laundry all finished and now during the ice storm tomorrow will have time to get the ironing done.

I believe that now Lou will begin to feel better and hope that her appetite will return. She didn't want to eat anything today and only had some Ensure, a little applesauce and finished off a small amount of Blue Bell butter pecan ice cream. This morning before the break through she drank some prune juice and ate a prune. But later she wasn't interested in that menu.

I have the fire place going and am praying that the ice storm doesn't disrupt our electric power seeing how we are all electric for heating and lightning.

Keep praying for Lou. Her friend Sylvia Grider called tonight and said that she had been thinking about Lou all day.

Your prayers are appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home