Monday, September 17, 2007

NEWS FROM ALASKA
Before I go to Alaska I want to clear up the balloons on my front gate Saturday morning. When I walked I found about 20 varicolored balloons tied on my flag staff holder. I called Lou on my cell phone but she hadn't ordered them and we speculated that someone was having a party and the balloons had been left on the wrong gate. Of course the sign above the gate says Rodenberger and Halsell so it would be difficult to mistake the gate. Lou ordered me to get rid of them so I brought them inside by the garbage barrel. The mystery was solved Sunday when Carol Bennett asked me if I enjoyed the celebration of my birthday with the balloons. She had them left over from a celebration of something in Abilene and left them at my gate. Ah, Friends.

Here is the email from Lou Ann Bates teaching in Alaska:

Hello, Everybody!

Well, the beginner's newness has now turned into the everyday reality of living and teaching in a very isolated village in Alaska. Quite honestly....it's not easy. There are good days and not-so-good days just like there are in everybody's lives. I'm just having to learn what to do without life's little distractions....you know....like restaurants, stores, movies, loved ones.......and to stay focused on my purpose....the children.

I just returned from berry-picking......I love the blueberries and have run out of fresh as well as dried.....and I discovered a different kind of berry. I can't wait until tomorrow to find out what my discovery is called. While I am out there in the very wild, blue yonder, it gives me a new perspective of things. It gives me clarity, and I always feel so much better.

I'm not sure what I included in my last email. I think that I have visited Togiak, the community across the bay, since my last correspondence. It was a very interesting trip and experience in living in the bush. Having to depend on air taxi for transportation was a lesson in having patience. I also learned the value of having a VHF radio out here......one reason is to be able to communicate with the pilots.

I also gained a new respect for my living arrangements. Many of the new teachers in Togiak had to depend on those with ATV's for transportation into the village......here I have no worries about transportation to anywhere. There most did not have internet in their apartments.......here living in the school gives me instant access.

You know.....you just have to see the goodness in all the small things. However, the comfort of my apartment is not a small thing......anytime I return home from an adventure, I want to do a happy dance for being with all my things again.

The children are cute and for the most part fun. The day I left for Togiak, some of them were playing outside the school. They wanted to know if I was going back to Texas.......I thought that was sad. Teachers tend to come and go in such a remote village. They want to know if I have horses and cows. Friday one of the boys wanted to know what they call me in Texas. He wanted to know if my daddy called me "Ms. Bates." They make me smile everyday.They teach me things all the time.

A moose was killed week before last by one of the villagers. I asked the kids if they liked moose meat. They said yes especially dipped in uquq which is seal oil and soy sauce. Then they started describing something else they like to dip in uquq. It was something found in the sea and was crunchy. .....seems the crunchy wonder was herring eggs found on the kelp. Now, when I tried to say the uquq, the kids laughed and said I sounded like their baby (three of my boys are brothers and have another one at home). So I said it again to give them a giggle. They love to sit around the circle and say, "Remember when.................." They could go forever telling stories like that.

Oh, Diana, I was invited to a "steam." Fortunately for me.....I was on my way to bed. If I haven't told everyone, a steam is not only a way to bath here, but it is also a social thing in the villages. We were told at inservice that if ask, we should really consider joining.(men with men, women with women, of course.......and in the nude, I might add). Diana, told me that that is when she would fly home........my sentiments exactly. Hopefully, I won't be invited again.

I'm all about learning about the culture.....but with my clothes on.....thank you very much!

Well, not that I am counting or anything, but we have fourteen weeks before Christmas. My tickets have been purchased and everything. I want to ask everybody to pray for clear weather so I can get out of Twin Hills and make my connections in Dillingham, Anchorage, Seattle, Houston and Dallas happening on Dec. 22 and 23. If I can fly out of Twin Hills on the 21, I will. My main concern is getting to Dillingham and then to Anchorage on time. All of you are in my thoughts.
I love and miss you all.
Louann

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home