Sunday, August 26, 2007

ALASKA REPORT Here is the latest report from Lou Ann Bate teaching in Alaska:

Hello, Family and Friends,

I have been thinking about everybody so much. I wish I could share this experience with each one of you. I have been in school for a week. The children are precious. It will be a challenge teaching three distinct levels at the same time. However, I do have a little more insight into the challenge than last weekend, and that is one of the reasons for being here.......a new challenge.

My students have English names and Yupik names. They go by both. One of myl ittle girls is named Sylvia or Mama Beaver. I have a little boy named Daniel or Bobaq. I would tell you the rest of the names, but I only know the English....I can't pronounce or spell the other Yupik names, yet. It is so interesting to hear the children talk. They are still children like any other, but their conversations are very different. I asked what a couple of them were playing on the tundra in front of the school, and Trevor (8 yrs.old) told me they were duck hunting with sling shots. The other little boy was 6yrs. old. They told me about how muddy they got with their hip boots on.

I read a story to them about a raccoon. Afterwards, I asked them who the story was mostly about. Most of them responded by saying a bear. Well, the bear was a very insignificant character in the story, but it was the one animal that they identified with. They understand walrus, bear and caribou, not, horses, cows and raccoons.

We talked about birthdays, and most of them said they wanted either a four-wheeler or a snow-go for their birthday. The older children in Rod's class are very curious about Texas. They wanted to know if everybody rides horses. One of them speaks to me in a "Texas"accent. Just about everytime he see me, he says,"Yee-hye". It's pretty cute!

Yesterday, after school, one of our para-professionals who is native asked me to go berry picking with her. We left on her four-wheeler at 4:00pm. At 6:00pm we were still picking berries. It was hard to stop because they are so plentiful. I had to stop because I filled my small bucket. Next time I go, I will be sure to take a larger one. I did not want to disturb her picking, so I walked back to the village. It was a beautiful walk and a refreshing end to a good day.

Today, I Iearned to drive the four-wheeler. The other teacher and his wife, Rod and Barbara Lindberg, took me out to the beach and on to the cannery. While at the beach, I found the most beautiful rocks. The cannery is only alive during June through August, so it was abandoned today. Then......I drove the four-wheeler all the way home (about 2-3miles)......yahoo! It was scary and fun all at the same time. The school has a four-wheeler and a snow-go for our use. Now I can actually make use of the four-wheeler.!

I know that I have promised pictures and before the weekend is over, I will have them loaded onto my computer and sent.

I love and miss you all.

Take much care. And keep writing....I thrive on all of your sweet and encouraging words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home