Monday, March 02, 2009

MONDAY IS WASH DAY

Have you ever tried to put a mattress cover on a mattress. I washed ours because of the stain from several days ago, dried it and tried to put it back. When I put one corner on it came off when the next corner was put on. It took a bunch of tries to get two corners to stay and then I was to get it back on. I spent the rest of the day finishing the laundry, and now have to get the ironing done. That is supposed to be done on Tuesday, but last weeks pants got pressed on Saturday. So much for a disciplined life.

Lou is doing about the same today. She is eating the same request everyday, but this morning I made pancakes and she ate a few bites. She drinks milk and orange juice for breakfast. For lunch she asked for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich and added ice cream with a dash of Kamora for dessert. Tonight she again had her 1/2 toasted ham and cheese sandwich with an applesauce for fruit. Again she drank milk. She likes to have small coca-cola during the day. She is controlling her pain fairly well with the oxycontin timed release pill morning and night. It has not caused the predicted constipation. On the contrary she has continued to have accidents. I have quit giving her the Sennalax that the pharmacist recommended. It is a tough balancing act.

She has been watching the turkeys. The six hens now have a big tom with them. Hopefully they are planning large families, but with fox around who love eggs, I don't know whether they will raise any turk chicks. When I was moved to a farm in 1942 we purchased some turkhens, half turkey half chicken. They didn't do too well as I remember. I remember the eggs were larger than chicken eggs. My father tried everything that grew. We had bees, chickens, cattle, hogs and raised every kind of plant. We killed and butchered our own meat. We made sauerkraut from cabbage, had our own black berries, boysenberries, and the one crop I hated to harvest, okra. One year we contracted with a new canning plant to raise so many acres of green beans. We picked them, took them in a horse drawn wagon to the cannery where they talked us into working for a shift canning the goods. An interesting life. We also raised sorghum cane one year, cut the cane with knives, again in a horse drawn wagon took them to the sorghum mill where we hitched a mule to the grinder lever, squeezed the juice out, burned the stalks under the copper pans that cooked the sorghum. We got half of the production for our trouble.

Here at Halsell Hill we raise wildlife and last night my wildlife camera caught one rabbit. Haven't seen any during the day and we have always had rabbits out here, but they do get scarce at times. I put the deer block back out but only the raccoons have eaten them.

The amaryllis has put up another stalk and the blossoms are opening. I cut the old stalk off that had blossomed several times, and immediately another stalk came up so that you could see growth every day. My daughter had some great photos of the first blossoms but I failed to put them in my computer to publish in the blog. Maybe next time I will get them.

Thank you for your prayers for Lou. Several friends have said they keep up with the blog so I try to post every day. You may get tired of my rambling. If so let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and have found it very touching and quite interesting to read. I am sorry if it is intended for only family and friends, but I had to comment. I would love to know your mailing address and what size mattress you have so that I can send you a better mattress pad. I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but I would like to send you this as a gift. Maybe you will understand as it seems you are a very giving person yourself. I will be praying for your wife.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home