Friday, June 15, 2007

We lost Lou this morning. I stayed in the room to write my column and went down to meet Kathy and Lou for the lunch at 11. I looked around, thought I saw Lou still in the meeting room. Kathy came by and asked if I had found her. I said no, she looked in our room and the restroom because Lou had left the meeting telling her she was going to the bathroom. We panicked worrying whether she had fallen somewhere. Mike Powell, a lawyer friend from Virginia who works as a Magistrate helped us look and soon signaled that he had found her. She was being videod for use by the WWA for their promotion TV programs this year. We had forgotten that she was scheduled for that gig.

Lou is really doing well this trip. She has gone on the bus trips. Wednesday we had panels and went out for lunch with Mike Powell. He is a fascinating character who has read every Western book that has been published and has been a movie reviewer and knows all the western movies. He is a book collector. We drove by the ABC bookstore. He said he had already been there and traded books with them. He has all of Elmer Kelton's books, and knows all of Lou's books.

Wednesday night we went to Walnut Springs for chuckwagon BBQ and entertainment by an Ozark bluegrass band. The resort was a large dairy farm that is now a museum of all their farm equipment. Kathy and I toured that with Val Mathes while Lou listened to the band. I regalled Kathy with my farming experience with all the horse drawn implements. They also had a few milk goats and I had to tell about my experience with them as a teenager.

Yesterday we had panels on the Civil War battles in MO and the outlaws that followed in the chaos after the War. Our tour was to the Wilson's Creek battlefield where there was a one day war where the first Union general was slain. The Confederates returned his body to the Union and we saw the bed it was on. They had the body returned back East on a train that stopped at every station. Lou made the walk to eat a box lunch and hear a talk by an enactor who showed us how the army loaded and fired their muskets. She then walked through the museum with Kathy and me and hasn't complained about her back, although it still has low back pains. Last night was the Foundation auction. Kathy again helped with displaying and giving the auction items. I donated my painting THE NAVAJO STORYTELLER and it brought $300 by a couple, Joe and Zona Crabtree from Verona, MO who have been asking me all about its history today.

This afternoon Lou will be part of the huge group signing her books at a special event. Tomorrow she will recieve the Stirrup Award for the best article published in THE ROUNDUP for her cover story on Tom Lea.

We hope we don't lose her anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home