Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yesterday I almost finished BLOOD AND THUNDER and learned a lot more about how Robert E. Howard felt about the citizens of Cross Plains. I got to read for about 3 hours as Lou had her CT scan. It takes a lot of time when you have to drink an iodine cocktail and wait 30 minutes and then she had four attempts to place an IV before they got one working so that they could watch her innards with the dye going through. I sat and read and then Lou had to wait another 15 minutes to make sure she didn't have a reaction to the chemicals. In the waiting room was a woman with a cane waiting for a CT for her back and her husband. She asked the woman across from her if she wasn't from Cross Plains. She then remarked that she lived on 2228 so I started paying attention. It was the Copley's who have the Larry's Computer sign at the Ellen Simpson house that they are occupying. I had contacted them by phone and email to use them in my column but had never met them in person. The Cross Plains couple were Ophelia and Howard Merrill. He had Lou's mother for a teacher in CP and Ophelia ran the Dairy Queen for 20 years. She is now working for a deli in Abilene United Supermarkets. He was having a CT because they are trying to find the cause of his high blood pressure and suspect a problem with his liver. You never know who you will run into in the waiting room.

Lou is doing a lot better, although the CT wasn't easy on her back. We ate at 3:30 at China Star and had the place to ourselves. I am doing a lot better. This morning I walked the entire two miles with little pain in my leg. I am hoping it will go away like it did a few years ago. I am planning on working on the Zora Mae oral history transcript tomorrow. I would like to have it finished for the REH fans who will be here June 9.

Kathy called this afternoon and they are at the Spurs vs. Jazz game I am watching in San Antonio. Haven't seen them in the crowd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home