Sunday, June 17, 2007

We are safely back on Halsell Hill. Drove through rain again in Okla. It has rained here with over 2" in the guage. A storm came by with thunder but no rain just as drove in. The TV says there is a flood watch in Comanche County so I guess it went that way to rain on Margaret Waring.



Last night was a big night in Lou's life. She was the second awardee of the evening recieving the Stirrup Award for the best article in last year's Roundup magazine. Her cover story on Tom Lea won the award for her. She explained to James Ersfeld who is a UMN staffer at our table last night that she got interested in Tom Lea through his brother, Dick Lea, who was an Aggie Aerospace engineer that used to come to lecture to my classes. Ersfeld got his degree in Aero from Notre Dame in 1971 and couldn't find a job. He did work in the Aero industry but is now working on a PhD in History. Dick Lea told us stories about how his father brokered deals with the Mexican revolutionaries back when they were kids in El Paso.



I sent Laura Bush an email when the article came out asking her to show it to her mother, Jeanna Welch, who we met in Midland and El Paso and knew was a good friend of Tom Lea, having grown up in El Paso. I don't know if she gets my emails. She gets thousands a day I imagine.



We enjoyed the Spur awards dinner as well as the sessions Saturday. The WWA celebrated Natalie Kennoyer's 100th birthday and the Kelton's 60th anniversary. We also got to visit with Jim and Regina Crutchfield and Cotton and Sonja Smith who were very supportive of Lou with their prayers during her cancer battle. Mike Powell had to have his photo made with Lou with her award. I haven't downloaded my photos to add to the blog, but maybe I will get around to it. I even took a few seconds of video of Mike Blakely singing. He sang two songs during the Awards ceremony, one about the white buffalo and the other dedicated to Nat Kennoyer to celebrate her birthday. She was in a wheel chair because she fell on a bus getting to the airport in CA. Val Mathis continued the air trip with Nat using airport and then the hotel wheel chairs. Nat has been walking on the injured leg and said she would walk off the plane when she gets back today. She blamed the fall on her poor eyesight due to macular degeneration, but she doesn't wear glasses or use a hearing aid. She is something else. WWA has become like a family for Lou. She finished her stint on the WWA board at this meeting and everyone knows her. She is working on another article for the Roundup and will send it in this week. I finished Bogg's book WALK PROUD, STAND TALL in the car. It is a good story. We bought his latest book that won a Spur as well as a lot more books during the book signing session. It was held at a Western wear store and Kathy helped me choose three new western shirts that I enjoy. We had a big week!



When we got home after we clawed our way through all the mail and newspapers and got around to our usual small glass of wine, I found a large package in my recliner with my Father's Day gift from my daughter. It was an eclectic assortment of gifts: a paper holder to use when computing, a cement frog with a rain guage in his mouth that I put on the front walk where it blended right in and a beautiful orange shirt that I said I could wear because I have degree from UT. My son Mark called while we were on the road to wish me a Happy Father's Day also. He said he has had over 4" of rain this week. My grass is growing and tomorrow will bring an attempt to mow some of it. We are looking forward to sleeping in our own bed and getting a better rest than the smaller bed we shared in the hotel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home