Monday, December 08, 2008

SCARY DAY
Yesterday Carol and Wallace Bennett shared the potato soup that she had made for choir practice by bringing a huge bowl of soup, a large loaf of cornbread and some brownies for me. I ate some for supper last night. At noon today Lou wanted a small amount and asked me to toast some of the cornbread for her. She ate a few spoonfuls and had a small scoop of ice cream for dessert. Then she got up and as she turned around she caught her foot on the chair and fell on her left side on the floor. She hit her head hard and I thought she had banged her glasses against her nose. She rolled over and determined that there were no broken bones. I moved the chair over for her to lift herself up but she said she couldn't get up. I got behind her and lifted her up. She said that she was OK. The only damage is a sore left cheek bone. Her knees and arms are all right. She said she was glad that I was here to help her up. I had been gone all morning to attend the Library board meeting and buy groceries. I worry about being gone and try to stay here as much as possible. She solved the constipation problem but continues to take pain pills and still can't get her appetite back. She says she is a little better today and hopes to get better each day as the chemo works out of her body.

Thank you for your prayers. We are grateful that I didn't have to call 911 because of broken bones.

1 Comments:

Blogger judyalter said...

Charles and Lou, I worry a lot about that falling problem--my balance is not good at all, especially when I'm anxious. I fell coming out of the dentist office recently and couldn't get up until I crawled over to the handle of the car door. But since then my yoga teacher and I have devised a method where I can get on all fours and get up without assistance--not very pretty, but it works!
Glad you're okay, Lou. I also fell one day in the yard--different problem. Caught my toe in a big crack in the sidewalk and was down before i knew it. But I landed on the dog who was eating his dinner. Now when I feed him and pick up the pooper scooper, he edges away in alarm, much as he wants his food. The look on his face clearly says, "Is she going to land on top of me again?"

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home