Sunday, November 23, 2008

TVLESS WEEKEND

I goofed up again. Dish TV sent me a smart card that wouldn't go in the receiver so they sent out another new receiver. I decided Saturday morning would be a good time to install it. It took about all of my strength to try to take out the old one and screw the connections into the new one. It turned on OK but wouldn't send a signal to the TV. I checked everything I knew to check and called their help line. I spent a good hour following instructions to no avail. All I got was a blue TV screen. We had disconnected the outside antenna so that I couldn't ever go that route. I called the technician who was here adjusting the satellite dishes a couple of days ago. He gave me a number to call and the recording while waiting said they were available 365 days a year, but when I asked for a technician to come out Saturday they said it would be Monday before they could schedule one. So we couldn't watch the TTU-OU game. We tried all the local radio stations that were carrying it and couldn't get a hearable station. I went to ESPN on the net and tried their play by play "live" broadcast but it was lousy. It did keep us up with the score well enough that we were glad we didn't have TV to watch.

So it has been a quiet weekend of reading. Lou finished Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters and yesterday picked up Elmer Kelton's The Sandhills Boy and is getting ideas for her memoirs when she can get back to writing. She still can't stand the sight of food but this morning ate a little cereal, one half biscuit with her milk and coffee. For lunch I talked her into chicken noodle soup. She ate some soup with a few noodles and one cracker with her milk. Tonight after a coke and a couple of cheetos she did eat one-half a container of yogurt, one-half boiled egg, a few grapes one-quarter apple with her glass of milk. She has quit taking her ginger pills because the large pills make her gag when she tries to swallow them.

Our daughter and her oldest daughter are coming in Tuesday night and will get up at 5:30 to drive to FW for the next Drs. appointment and possibly another chemo round. Wednesday the rest of Kathy's family along with Sylvia Grider will come in for Thanksgiving Thursday. I just got a phone call from my brother, Robert, and he said they will try to come by Friday for a short visit before going up to Altus to visit one of his grandsons. So it will be a merry week.

Today after church, Georgia Allen flagged me down as I was leaving and asked about Lou and told me that they were praying for her. Georgia and her husband Doyle Allen are both black Methodist ministers. Doyle preached today. He was our District Superintendent about 15 years ago and has been in the Conference office since. Georgia was a revival preacher for us many years ago. Wonderful people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home