Wednesday, June 11, 2008

ON THE ROAD AGAIN
We finally got to Scottsdale for the Western Writers of America annual meeting and when we went to the reception at 5:30 we were told that it was 4:30 because they are on PT. Or they don't recognize daylight savings. Anyhow we didn't think to look at our cell phones until after and found that they keep the local time. Very confusing.

We have had a great chauffer. Val, our granddaughter, has been driving. We spent last night in Las Cruces. We ate at the Cracker Barrel and each one of us ordered chicken and dumplings, which I thought was odd. We got to LC about 5 p.m. local time. I had forgotten my pajamas so Val and I went to Walmart which was about a block away. On Lou's orders I got two pair because my old ones at home are really old. I also bought a new digital camera which I had been planning after reading the latest Consumers Reports that covered cameras. Have you ever noticed that stores never carry the models that CR reports on. I wanted a Nikon Coolpix L12 and ended up buying a L18 because they didn't have L12 models. I like it but wonder if another model with digital image stabilization would be better than this one with electronic stabilization where they only increase shutter speed to correct for my old man shakiness. I haven't used it except for a practice shot, so I haven't tested it completely. I made a short movie of Lou and it even captures audio. Looked good before she made me erase it.

The road trip was hard on Lou yesterday. She is doing some better today because we weren't in the car for as long a time. It is great to have an air-conditioned car when the outside temperature is 103. Yesterday we saw 106 as the maximum going through the low desert areas of NM. As we went up in the mountains it dropped to 94 but back in the valleys it got above 100.

The first person I saw when I checked in here at the Chapparral Suites Resort was the new WWA president, Johnny Boggs. I told him that we were having Mike Cox for our next Author in Cross Plains and he said he was a great choice.

We are enjoying having a DSL line for our free Internet access in the suite. It has a large living room with a small kitchen area plus a large bedroom in the suite. Lou was hungry an enjoyed a chicken quesidilla while Val and I had pizzas when we found out it was only 4:30 local time. Our stomachs said it was supper time. A glass of Merlot with her meal mellowed Lou out and she is feeling a lot better. I noticed that she brought Jim Lee's book about his literary experiences to read for her next memoir chapter. She finished writing up her experiences with Elroy Bode last week.

We still have received no word on her three Xray exams last Thursday. I called and bugged the doctor's office Monday and Tuesday and finally got someone who said they hadn't gotten the readings and would call my cell phone when they did. I will bug them tomorrow if I don't hear. It is ridiculous that we can't find out sooner than a week later about the tests. The medical profession is getting bogged down and backed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home