Thursday, May 22, 2008

SOME LITERARY COMMENTS
I would like to share some interesting literary comments from a great literary critic, Margaret Waring who is the Comanche Librarian. She was commenting on the blog.

Big thanks for the report on the Literary Lubbock event. It was as interesting and the other things you continue to provide for our pleasure. Even better is the amount of new material, fresh names, and suggestions of titles and work of interest to me and for our library, too.

While we're talking about good stufff, let me point to Mike Cox's new Wearing the Cinco Peso, a history of the Texas Rangers to 1900. It is vol. 1 of 2 apparently. It is a good read and different from the many other Ranger books out there. Mike's style is informal and ever so readable. However, one must take note of his sources as his endnotes (long) and bibliography(extensive) take nearly 100 pages. IMHO, with that backup, you can write "folksy".

Another delightful piece I just finished is Pierce Burns' A Few Good Horses. This is a family story of a Brown County bunch but I thought it far above the customary run of family stories. Burns owns a substantial ranch in eastern Brown County but he is a retired engineer (U.T. grad I learned by asking). He is charming and involved with several writers groups where he lives in Austin. I know the contact has made a big difference in his work. The difference is obvious. His engineering training/mind-set helps his work it seemed to me.


Our Library wants to have Mike Cox for our Meet the Author next Fall and I appreciated the review of his book. I am behind on my reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home