Tuesday, August 14, 2007

LITERARY UPDATE Yesterday while waiting at the Doctor's office I got half way through PURGATORIE by Johnny Boggs. This book was inscribed to Keith Wilcox at the Spokane WWA so I presume it was a book Kathy bought at that meeting. It is a real western with a drunken former Texas Ranger staying at a brothel in Purgatorie, Colorado talking to a fallen dove whose brother had been killed while he was in the Rangers with Capt. McAnelly in the raid into Mexico. A vivid description of that battle is a chapter in the book. I also bought gas for $2.569 in Weatherford at Shell and could have gotten it for $2.539 at Racetrack. Strange that we would think that is cheap, but compared to Cross Plains prices, it is.

Also Lou Ann Bates who is teaching in Alaska has given me permission to share her emails on her experiences. Lou is encouraging her to keep meticulous notes and put her experience into book format after her first year.

Here are her first two emails:
This is from August 7:

Hello, Everybody,I know sending to everybody at one time can seem impersonal, but I definitely don't mean it that way. I miss everyone of you and want to share my past few days with each of you.When I arrived on Friday evening, it was raining. There was no one at the airstrip to meet me. The pilot called the school to let them know we has landed. Then he left me standing beside a utility building with an overhang to sheild against the rain. Thank goodness I was dressed properly. Soon the school custodian came riding up on the school's fourwheeler w/ trailer.IJohn is also the leader of the tribal council in Twin Hills.) We loaded my luggage, I climbed on beside John, and off we went toward the school. I grinned to myself all the way thinking, "If only they could see me now", He dropped me off at the school, and Rod and Barbara, the other teacher and his wife, came out to greet me. We then went up to the apartment located above my classroom in the school. It was very raw....boxes everywhere and workmen's stuff everywhere. It was new but dirty from the building process. So...........I worked until around 12:00 that night getting it to where I could sleep on the couch and feel comfortable. Most of my things had made it and I was able to find the bedding. I cleaned a little (you know me) and pulled things that I did not want out into the hall.THe next day I unpacked every box, but still didn't have a bed or hot water. However, that afternoon, Rod figured out how to get the hot water to me. I now have hot water just not in the bathtub. The next day, Sunday, I finished decorating the apartment. I have a new sofa, recliner, kitchen and bathroom. I just had to scrouge the building for things to hold lamps and such. I don't have a closet.....that's interesting. Hopefully I will get an additional chest-of-drawers. They also found a rack for me to use (you know, like you see at garage sales). Then I pulled a shelf from my classroom to use. I do have a W/D. I very happy! My learning curve is tremendous in this new world. I met some of the kids and aides. Rod and Barbara are wonderful. There is so much work to be done. The school needs much, much work before the kids come in a couple of weeks.Loneliness is beginning to set in a little. The weather has been beautiful which is not the usual, they say. It is usually foggy and rainy.....oh boy! I would like to explore a little, but I have been so busy and I'm not sure where to go. There is suppose to be a beach somewhere. All in good time......I fly to Dillingham on Thursday and will be there through Wednesday. I will be attending in-service. It should be enjoyable. Most of my things made it. I am still missing some boxes mailed from Abilene. Hopefully they will show up while I am away.I want to thank everybody for you support. I can't believe that I'm finally here and that I actually did this. It is a different world. I have so much to learn. Pictures will come later when I have my computer and figure it all out.

AND FROM AUGUST 12:

Hello (this time from Dillingham which is the big city in the bush),

I am here for new teacher and all-staff in-service. Let me tell you....this is a different world. Patience with my learning curve is the name of the game. Everything (system, service, routine) that I was used to in the lower-48 has to be reestablished here. Saturday they took all the new teachers to the lake (lakes) located right outside Dillingham. We took about six small boats out into the most beautiful surroundings that I have ever experienced. When we started the lake was as smooth as glass with the mountains reflecting in it. If you have ever seen the movie called "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins.....that is the kind of scenery we experienced. We saw spawning red salmon trying to cross a low-water crossing. Some even picked them up out of the water. We picked blueberries on a knoll overlooking the gorgeous water. Blueberry bushes are like a very thick carpet. You actually walk on top of the bushes as you are picking the berries. The aroma that is released as you are picking smells just like the bottles of aromatherapy. I've never smelled anything like that in nature. The whole experience made me realize how powerful our earth is. I think we forget that fact living in the cities. Man thinks he has all the power in his technical world, but out here you witness the real truth of the matter.....Earth has the ultimate control. They smoked King Salmon and, I believe, Red Salmon for us on the campfire...that, too, was marvelous. I even fished.....well, I learned how to hold and manipulate a rod and reel.....next time maybe I will actually fish. But that was another first for me and at least I sccomplished something. My goal is to learn how to fly fish. Among the new faculty, there was a native lady, Esther. I loved listening to her explaining aspects of the culture. She made native ice-cream which is called agoudak (spelling?????). It is made from crisco, oil, berries and sugar......can you imagine? She mixed it all together wih her hands because she wants her essence of goodwill to be a part of the icecream so that, too, can be shared with her guests. She told us that we should find out who the elder are in our village and give our first berries to that person to show our respect for their ways and for him or her. The ice-cream actually tasted pretty good when you put a small portion on some bread. Another wonderful experience. Then our boat went on a wild boat ride up a wilder side of the lake. The man who took us has lived there 12 years and seemed to know what he was doing........everything we did was simply incredible.

I now have my school laptop and I will soon get my personal computer. As soon I do, I will send pictures of all of my adventures. Uncle Charles, I will start the blog as soon as I have time to think which may be a while.....but I am going to do it. I think that I will wait until I have my own computer and service.

Thank you so much to those who have replied. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to hear from you. Again, when I have more time, I will stop and email each one of you personally. Just know that I am thinking about you and I miss everybody. To say this is an experience of a lifetime is such an understatement.

I listed the web site of her school in a previous blog. They post photos of the area on the web site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home