Thursday, August 14, 2008

LITERARY COMMENT

Judith Keeling brought us the latest Stephen Carter book PALACE COUNCIL and told me I wouldn't be able to put it down once I started. So I haven't started it yet. Tomorrow we take Lou to a meeting of a TWU Regent's committee in Dallas so I will start it while we wait on Lou.

I finished both of Marc Otte's books under the pen name Mark Henry and enjoyed them. The first book was really timely because the action took place in 1908 when there were forest fires all over the west and the federal government authorized unlimited funds to fight them. They were using soldiers and drafting civilians. The US Marshalls were tracking bad guys into the fire zone and both escaped one group in an old gold mine and the Marshalls blasted a hole in a stream with a stick of dynamite and got under water. I am not sure how their horse did that, but it was a good story. The second book took place during a long train ride where the history of the characters was explained in flash backs. More tracking by the Indian descendants of Scot/Indian marraige. One scene I appreciated because I have had that experience with dogs was when the Indian girl was escaping and being tracked by dogs. She found a porcupine and set a trap for the dogs where their noses were full of quills. After being pulled out the dogs then tracked the porcupine and the girl went the other way.

Lou's literary effort is reading two manuscripts for TT Press. She is enjoying that. Our granddaughter Val is here with us until Saturday and this morning we walked. Val and I picked up five bags of trash on the highway. Lou walked to the front gate. She is feeling a little better today. She is switching back and forth from the Ranger game for her and the Olympics for Val. We just watched the beach volleyball championship. Val was a high school volleyball player at Tomball. She has thought about coaching at her school in San Antonio, but teaching math doesn't leave enough time for that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molcie, I'm compiling a bibliography of "Texas Historical and Literary Blogs," and I've tentatively included yours. The list will be published in about 10 days. Can we email on the matter? Thanks, Will Howard, http://texasparlor.blogspot.com willstexana [at] yahoodotcom

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home