Tuesday, October 30, 2007

GOOD WEEK
We had a great weekend with our daughter, Kathy,son-in-law, Keith,two granddaughters, Valerie and Vanessa, and two greatgrandsons, Christopher and Brent here. Keith is in remodeling and undertook the task of installing a pull out table support for the keyboard for Lou's desktop computer in her office. It took him two hours and I would never have been able to do it. Keith gave his grandsons the time of their lives by giving them a ride on the Ford tractor. He even let Christopher shift the gears. Keith ran the clutch and brake. He filled the deer feeders and when the rope came out of the pulley on one feeder he talked Christopher into climbing up in the branches to thread the rope back through the pulley. A learning experience to remember from his childhood.

Brent is two and a cowboy. He was wearing his boots and when I came home from church he was watching me change clothes in the closet and was admiring my lineup of boots. I normally put walking shoes on, but for him I put a different pair of boots on. If his parents find that he has learned a couple of new words that they can't figure out, they are elephant and shark. Two skins on the boots he liked best.

Lou is doing better. Still has back problems but Monday she was walking down the highway when I got back from my two miles. And this morning she made it past the creek, which is a chore in itself. My Shingles have modified from excruciating to aggravating pain and I am weaning myself off of the Darvoset or whatever it is called. I am mostly down to a couple of aspirin three times a day. Today I ate with Mike Friend at Kiwanis and he was the most helpful Shingles patient I have heard. He said he got over his in a couple of weeks, but he was a lot younger then. I had been hearing stories of the pain lasting for years and wasn't looking forward to that. I always thought I had a good immune system. I did get a flu shot at Lou's insistance.

I appreciate hearing from some of you that read the blog. Shay Bennett wrote Lou to thank her for giving the talk to the AAUW and mentioned that she keeps up through the blog and when I mentioned the book NEW ENGLAND WHITE by Stephen Carter back in July, she checked it out of the Library and has been reading it. Lou has finished ABRAHAM by Feiler and is encouraging me to read it again to better understand the Muslims and the problems in the MidEast. I am covering Abraham and his progeny in the Bible in our SS class. She also is working her way through the OT and reading John in the NT. Of course everyday she reads the Abilene Reporter-News, Wall Street Journal and every week the New York Times Book Review, Newsweek and about a hundred other pieces of mail plus reading a book every three days working on her judging short novels for the Spur awards next year. She gets about 3 books a week to read. Mike Friend asked me what I was reading for pleasure and I told him I am still working on Bill Neal's book, GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER IN WEST TEXAS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home