Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lou had another great day today because she had her daughter and grand-daughter-in-law with her at the dedication of the new TWU building in Houston at the Texas Medical Center. Lou and I were here for the ground-breaking ceremonies over a year ago where she was in a photo with a shovel. She gave a contribution to honor Mandi Wilcox, Jim's wife, because Mandi got her Master's degree from the Houston branch of TWU here. They got to pose before the plaque where Lou's donation is insribed with Mandi's name. Of course I forgot to bring my camera, but Kathy was shooting 35mm film and Mandi had her digital so I may be able to post some photos later. If you read Judy Alter's comment, she wanted to know where my photos were and I will start adding some.

It was a hectic drive yesterday. Coming down I-45 thru the middle of Houston, I went down under an overpass and in my lane was the ugliest looking tangle of metal about 3' high and 4' wide that I could only run straight over because of the traffic in the other lanes. I just knew that it had wiped out the entire underside of my car, but everything kept working. I kept waiting for the brakes to quit, or the transmission to go out, but it kept running. We got to the hotel and parked. Today I went to check on it. Nothing was leaking. I moved it to a more convenient spot and it is running OK, so I guess our guardian angel was again on the job taking care of us. I always pray for such protection before a trip, and it works.

Last night at the reception, her friends and fellow regents had trouble recognizing Lou in her turban. They were all glad to see her. I met Dr. Terry Bevers (the chair of the Regents) father. His name is Bartholomew. My best friend in the first grade in Stillwater, OK was named Bartholomew, but they weren't kin. The father is named James Lewis Bartholomew and he was an engineer who graduated in the first AFA class.

Today at the ceremony, the President of Texas Medical Center is Dick Wainerdi, who I worked with in the engineering college at A&M. He was wearing a Sigma Tau tie clasp today, so I got to greet him as a fraternity brother. It is an honorary engineering fraternity.

Kathy and Mandi drove me back to the hotel and Lou attended the Regent's meeting to among other things approve a new Ph.D. degree in nursing. They need them to teach nursing. The meeting was scheduled from 1 to 6, but Lou was out by 4, much to my amazement. She was hungry so we opened the restaurant at 5:30 and she had a big Cobb salad with shrimp and loved it.

We will head out into the traffic in the morning back home. Hopefully the traffic will all be coming in as we are going out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home