Friday, October 03, 2008

LITERARY UPDATE
I forgot to report on the latest book I am reading. I can't remember when I read a book that is on the best books list, but my son, Mark, gave me Boone Pickens' THE FIRST BILLION IS THE HARDEST. I told Mark that I agreed with the title and have already given up on the first and have started working on the second. While Lou is getting chemo I have a lot of time to read and got through his investment game where he almost lost all the money he got from investors and then went long on gas futures when gas went from $2 to $10 and made a couple of billion. I got home Wednesday afternoon and read in WSJ where Boone had just lost a billion last week and said he has lost more. So much for gambling. I am now into his argument for his approach to solving the oil shortage. Still have some chapters to read.

Lou had a tough day today. We didn't walk because I had a septic tank man coming at 9. He told me the same thing the last one told me and I am going to get my Professional Engineer son to help me because he can still practice. My license is suspended until I get professional development credits that I don't have the time and money to get. The problem is that we had our septic tank pumped after 15 years and found that the system isn't draining. The pumper said his brother is now using a different drain field. When I had him come out he said that the inspector would be required and that he would require me to replace the entire septic system for a cost of over $6000. I then researched the TCEQ regulations and found that the system had to be subject to an inspector or a registered PE. Since Mark's license is still good and he had experience with septic systems when they lived in Aledo, I am going to work with him to get a drain field installed that will handle what little sewage we generate. We will see how the battle with the government regulators plays out.

Lou took a pain pill before our daughter, Kathy came in and is feeling better as she goes to bed. She had pain in her back all day that is not in the spine but on both sides. She thinks it is chemo problems showing up. Hopefully the pain pill will let her get a good night's sleep. We had a friend email Lou today to say she had read the blog and we should rename this place Holy Hill because of all the prayers directed this way. Sounds like a winner to me. Thank everyone for your prayers.

Our daughter ran into an old friend, Jim Singleton, at the Aggie game last Saturday and this week we were able to hear from him and his brother, Jeff, by email. Jeff is reading the blog and said he was adding his prayers for Lou. The only problem is that his email provider blocks AOL emails. I may have to use my HughesNet email for him.

1 Comments:

Blogger judyalter said...

Charles, please thank Lou for becoming a Bookish Frog--we hope that grou is going to be a lot of fun. An acknowledgement will be headed her way when we get them from the printers.
And yes, my prayers are among the many headed your way. Suppose liberal prayers have equal weight?

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home