Tuesday, January 16, 2007

We had run out of fruit and milk and I had to get to town today. I was worried about the ice still on the roads with their grades and debated using the Avalon with the new tires or the pickup that already has a few dents in it, being a farm truck, so I tried the pickup. I thought about putting some of the heavy oak firewood in the bed to put some weight on the tires, but finally just got in and started down hill. With my foot on the brake, I slid into the ditch, stopped, took it easy and eased back on the road and weaved my way down the hill. I made it around the curve at the Halsell House and as I got to the creek, I gunned it to get enough momentum to get up the last hill to the highway and voila' I got the mail. The next trial was getting back up the ice and I got enough momentum that I made it through the ice spots and felt more confident that I could make the grocery run. The highway was clear although I saw what looked like glare ice on parts. Downtown Cross Plains was clear and I made Kiwanis, bought groceries, went by Lawrence Farm and got another bag of sunflower seed and tried a suet bag to help the birds get some energy. The back yard has been swarming with one robin, lots of cardinals and finch, plus the normal doves, tufted titmouse, and chickadees. Plus the squirrels and fox. It never got above 30 today, but we got some melting off the back roof even though there was no sun out. I have walked carefully in the grass and haven't even slipped. Usually I take a fall or two in this kind of weather. Where there is no grass on the ground it is like a skating rink.

Lou is managing her back somewhat better, but it is still a problem. We haven't gotten the surgery appointment yet. Fort Worth has been backed up by the weather also. Sue called me about 12:30 saying she was going back to FW to be with Ike. She has been stymied by the weather here in CP.

I called Kathy. She and Val both had the day off with their schools closed and will have tomorrow due to the ice in San Antonio. They aren't getting any snow yet, but it is predicted. We are on the edge of the predicted snow belt. I am still worried about trying to get to Dallas Saturday. Hopefully we can make the TIL board meeting.

I am enjoying Blakely's COME SUNDOWN. It is the history of the Civil War in New Mexico right now. He has intersected with Sul Ross and another who became Governor of Texas. He has friends on both sides of the battles. He is serving as scout to Kit Carson and fighting the battles against the Texans trying to take the Colorado gold fields. I am learning a lot of history of the battles in NM. The book has a lot of action combined with history and philosophical observations. Great read. I am about half through.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home